Subaru WRX Forum banner

Rear Diff Service

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Kapt 
#1 ·
The other day I got the oil changed in my '04 STi at the local oil change place. While changing my oil they showed me a piece of paper with a dab of oil on it that came from my rear diff. They asked if I wanted to have it serviced for $39, or $49, I don't remember which right now

Anyway, I said I just wanted the oil changed and none of the usual side things they always ask about. He said "Are you sure? It's recommended that you service the rear diff every 15,000 miles

What? I've never heard of such a thing. Was he just trying to get more money out of me? They do work on commission and all.... Or does Subaru require that kind of service? You guys know?

#3 ·
I have never done this, but since I'm driving down to Hershey and changing my oil any way.
Probably wouldn't hurt. I have thought about doing this before, but it completely slipped my mind with all the crap I got going on.
Thanks for the reminder;)

...........CHEERS!!!

#4 ·
I have changed mine twice since having my car (with 52,xxx miles). I have it set up for around 20k miles now to go along with servicing my transmission. Its a rather simple task of removing the two bolts/plugs in it (to drain), then putting the lower bolt/plug in to fill. Its just a bit tricky to fill. Like Paul said its a good idea to keep fresh fluids in there to guarantee a proper working and long(er) lasting part to your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.