RA gears: yes or no? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

KawBoyz11 is an unknown
RA gears: yes or no?

Soon im going 2 be running a VF34 turbo and the Cobb AP Map for this turbo. Cobb estimates around 315-320 hp, which is around 265 whp. Will my stock tranny and gears be able to hold this much power or do i need to upgrade to the RA gears? If i have to upgrade ill have to save money for a while to get the RA gears, so how long will i be able to use my stock tranny and gears with the setup i want?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2008, 08:51 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
It depends on how you drive the car and treat the tranny. If you drive sensible you should be fine. RA's are about 10-15% stronger than stock from the reading I have done on them. If you want to do 6k clutch drops and slam every gear without a second thought save yourself around $5k and get PPGs.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
my advise is to leave it stock and if you break em go RAs... they should be plenty strong for a VF34 unless you drag race very regularly or something. Chances are good if you keep a stock clutch on there that your stock tranny will last anyway.

Going in there and replacing the gears when everything is still working doesn't save you money over waiting until they break. The only real reason to do it that way is that you can schedule it better rather than having it just happen. Still, it's a lot of money so I'd just stay stock as long as you can. Remember, stock clutch!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

06resuby is an unknown
ra's are junk i blew mine in 7 months i didnt drive that hard never launched at the time i had the ra's i put 350whp on a dyna pack soo i wouldnt even bother if i were u...ppgs or mfactory gears that are only 2000 i believe
#5 Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Scooby_WRX04 is an unknown
maybe because your had 350 whp they blew that fast? i plan on buying RA gears and just dropping them in when the stock ones go out