RA gears..??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

JINDARwrx6 is an unknown
RA gears..???

I have done some searching and havent came up with a whole lot of info on RA gears. If i were to get these.... Vivid Racing Type RA Gearset Subaru WRX 02-07 Vivid Racing... what kind of hp/tq could they handle? and would i still have to be careful with how to drive at that hp... thank you for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
they're stronger. They're not drastically stronger like PPGs or even an STi's tranny though. If you say the stock is good for 300 hp or so, than the RA is prob good for about 350 hp or so. I would drive the RAs as carefully as I would the stock given about 20% more power.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

JINDARwrx6 is an unknown
ok thank you. and exactly what kind of rough driving would break them? launching and crap like that? like would you be able to drive it how its meant to be driven with around 300 or would it just be a waste to even try and get that high?
#4 Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
1) The transmission failure you're concerned about here is shock loading. In other words, your initial torque thrown at each gear as you shift into it.
2) The RA gears are a very similar design to the stock gears. They're stronger but have the same failure tendencies.

How DO you want to drive and what power levels WILL the car be at? Without good answers to those, it's hard to tell you what to do.

Generally, RA gears are for stage 2 or small turbo upgraded cars. They then provide about stock durability in a higher powered car. If you want to make big power, they are very breakable. You're better off in the long run buying something stronger like a PPG setup.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by JINDARwrx6 View Post
like would you be able to drive it how its meant to be driven with around 300 or would it just be a waste to even try and get that high?
meant to be drive? thats relative. technically speaking we are all 'meant' to drive our car under the speed limit. that being the case, yes. very much so. in fact, you could have 500hp and probably drive it how your 'meant' to with the stock trans and gears.

will it be fun? not so much.
#6 Old 01-22-2008, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

JINDARwrx6 is an unknown
i agree with that. but like i do like to get to the speed limit sometimes fast but i do not tend to usually speed a whole lot. so like i guess my question should be would excellerating extremely fast but with proper shifting hurt it? if i was like shifting on time and such? thanks
#7 Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black Night is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Black Night
well you would still be putting stress on your transmission whether you speed or accelerate fast to the speed limit, and with more power you'll be putting more stress on it...drive carefully, shift properly and you'll be fine....that should give you enough money to save for a gearset thats worth your money....PPG's FTW

Tuned by ICS Performance 306/313