ppg and oem gears - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mr.bov is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.bov
Lightbulb ppg and oem gears

WHats up again jus idea i had on the forums i been thinking of sti 6sp swap but also ppg's so i heard that the gears in the 04+ wrx's are little stronger but still glass so how would 1st and 2nd ppg's and oem 3-5 handle say about 400whp HOW good are mfactory gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Its all in really how you drive the car. You will have more torque applied to the 3rd (and so on) usually since first and second really arent that long, unless you are dumping the clutch (which is more than just gears involved) Most of my hard driving occurs in 3rd maybe 4th gear. I havent read of anyone doing just 1-2 and keeping stock. Dont knwo anything about the other gears. I know that on NASIOC they talk about them, but I dont freuquent that site.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Just save up and get 1-4 PPG gears you will be happier in the long run.
#4 Old 05-08-2009, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
The $ it would cost to do a STI swap is more then it would cost to just take your tranny out and send it to andrew tech and get the full PPG gears. and its alot stronger then the STI tranny. And when you do the STI tranny swap you have to swap out alot more then just the tranny. drive lines, rearends. But if your going to be pushing the power that needs PPG gears you will prob want to upgrade the drivetrain anyways IMO.
#5 Old 05-09-2009, 04:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

Mr.bov is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr.bov
Ok that brings up another question and this will solve the prob i have choosing between sti or ppg which one is the strongest One of my friend that builds cars said that he has seen a wrx break ppg's but it was a 10.9 sec wrx dout my car will see that but a 12.0 or 12.5 will make my day
#6 Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The dogbox PPGs are rated at 800WHP I believe. I would imagine axles or something else breaking before the actuall gears. Maybe there was a bad gear in the car. Could have really been anything. Check the warranty of an STI swap and the warranty that PPG carries on their gears. See which one is better.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Check the warranty of an STI swap and the warranty that PPG carries on their gears. See which one is better.
Very good point. I bet most people just look at the cost of the gears when approaching this kind of project. Like pb-king07 said, there are a bunch of other factors to consider too. This is a pretty big decision, so it's definitely a good idea to make a complete list of every cost involved (gears, installation, warranty, all other miscellaneous parts needed) and look at the options side by side to determine what's best.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#8 Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 PM

Part of that is that the only warranty I would imagine getting on an STI swap would be if you could manage to afford every last part from the dealership. The shop that installs might offer some limited warranty, but nothing since its really aftermarket or not even factory for a WRX. I know that PPGs carry some type of gurantee/warranty on them, just cant remember since I havent looked at them for awhile.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"