Subaru WRX Forum banner

Please explain dropping, feathering, and slipping the clutch

39K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  hipo_wrx 
#1 ·
Ok, this is really embarrassing but I just learned how to drive a standard about 9-10 months ago on my newly purchased '02 WRX. Unfortunately I had to teach myself how to drive the standard with little input from anyone with any experience. Day to day normal driving is going great, but I honestly have no idea how to launch my WRX properly. I've searched the threads on this subject so I have a good idea how to launch. My problem is I have no idea what you guys mean by dropping, feathering, or slipping the clutch. Can someone explain these terms to me? The general opinion seems to be rev to around 4000-5000 rpm, then slip the clutch (don't drop because of the WRX's weak tranny). Explain what slipping the clutch means in a way that someone like me might understand. If you can explain the whole launching process again in more simplified terms that would be even better. Thanks for helping out!

#2 ·
i dont drop because of bog, your not trying hard enough to go fast unless your breaking something while doing it. but you just let the clutch slip (dont let it grab or catch) enough till the car rolls a bit and then let out slowly. boost will come in faster that way as i noticed so you will accelerate better. i only do it at 3 or 3.5 so not to burn easily and i still have good results.

#3 ·
Drop means let up on the clutch all at once. Worst for tranny, best for launch times. Feather dumping is dumping but a little bit slower, which is ok for tranny, but good for times. Slipping is letting the clutch up even slower than feather dump which is best for tranny, but worst for times. Rev to 5 k then let up clutch slowly.

#4 ·
But don't let the clutch out to slowly at a high RPM or you will burn the clutch up. Trust me, you will know the smell of a burning clutch and it will stick around for a while. I taught myself how to drive manual in my car and it took me a while. As far as learning to launch your car, you just have to go out, practice and eventually you will teach yourself. My method is rev to around 3.5k - 4.5k then take about 1 second to let the clutch out.

#8 ·
heh, my wife can catch me by the smell of my poor clutch... She is all like... hey I told you no street racing and you come home with a smokey clutch... :mad:

I have gotten better at not sacrificing my clutch to save my tranny, but seriously a clutch is MUCH cheaper than a transmission, so I would say if you have to pick one, treat your clutch worse.

but don't listen to me, my 0-60 foot time is still 2.2s (I am too careful me-thinks)

I think when I get a new dogbox (we are talking years from now) I would love to take my WRX to the track and launch the hell out of it and see just how easy it is to turn gears into confetti.

next test and tune night I plan on launching from 2000 RPM and see what I can do, I think it may actually be better since I can boost a lot sooner.

has anyone tried using the emergency brake and letting boost build with the clutch mostly up? I think that would be easy on transmission, but hard on the clutch and e-brake, not something to do every day, but when that modded mustang gt keeps beating you, maybe it is time to pull out the big guns.

#9 ·
With 2.2 60ft times you should definatly be launching at a high rpm. You should be able to launch 4k-5k(instead of 2k) letting the clutch out fairly quickly without causing any damage. If you do that you should be sub 2.0 easily.

As for having the e-brake pulled and clutch partially engaged, there should be no reason for that. You can let the boost build with the clutch in and e-brake disengaged. That is why drag strips are flat :) Plus if the car starts to drag the back tires locked up i don't want to even think about what kind of damage that would cause. Bad idea IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.