Passenger side axle seal leak - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-30-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Passenger side axle seal leak

I saw today that my transmission was leaking from the passenger axle seal. I also noticed that there was a bolt right below the little plate that the axle sits in. Can I take that plate out and replace the oil seal without taking the transmission out? Would any kind of stop leak be safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A picture would really help here. It's leaking from the axle boot you can sometimes get away with just tightening the clamp on the end of the boot. If you've got a lot of miles, you may need to replace the axles.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2011, 01:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
OP is talking about the plate that goes around where the axle goes into the trans (the retainer plate) -
http://wrx-tx.com/yahoo_site_admin/a....120105804.jpg

Closer look -
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/...8db75814_b.jpg

It's held on by a single 12mm bolt. Taking that plate off won't help you replace the seal w/o removing the axle. You don't have to remove the trans to replace the seal: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1602465

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #4 of 10 Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Nice work on the pics and the "how to". I must point out though that his tranny has the stub shafts coming out of the trans, like the pics from NASIOC. The first two pics show the later style (where the stub shaft is part of the axle)

Cullen
post #5 of 10 Old 10-31-2011, 06:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Yes, good point! Forgot to mention that lol, but was just trying to let blk05WRX know what piece the OP was referring to. The "How-To" I posted is specific for the 02-03 so should be accurate.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #6 of 10 Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
have fun taking that differential side retainer out. it was a pia. i used a flat head screwdriver and chipped a couple teeth on the retainer but it did come out and i ended up buying a new one to replace the chipped one. also make sure its the seal leaking and not the input shaft seal,b/c mine was also leaking in the same area and after replacing the seal it still leaked. come to find out my input shaft seal was leaking. which involves taking out the whole tranny to replace that seal
post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Boostin Chick: thanks a lot
Rex: Was it leaking in front of the transmission also?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy LiMiT View Post
Rex: Was it leaking in front of the transmission also?
it was leaking pretty much where the input shaft sits in the tranny which is in the middle of the tranny.leaked out the case and onto the axle seal area which made me assume that it was just the seal. if i were you replace axle seals since your down there might as well do both. then if its still leaking then the only other place it could leak is drain plug,input shaft seal or if the tranny it self was cracked. in my case the tranny only leaked when the car was moving.at idle and not moving i would look under car to check for leaks and nothing. i would go drive down the road park it give it a couple mins and look under, and i seen tranny fluid. so if any of this sounds like your case it may be your input shaft seal.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
I'll keep that in mind Rex2002 but it definately looks like it was the axle seal to me. It has just a little trans fluid around the axle area and a single line running down to the bottom of the trans where it drops off. I went ahead and got both seals because, like you, I figured I may as well just do both of them. I got them in today but it's raining and should be raining all day and I have drill this weekend . I'll let you guys know whether it stops leaking or not when I replace the seals tho.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would order new boots and clamps as well since yur there. My 2¢

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement