Subaru WRX Forum banner

Noise when deccelerating after clutch replacement

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jpmadden 
#1 ·
I had my clutch replaced about a month ago by my local repair shop. 2004 WRX it was replaced with a standard clutch--nothing fancy like exedy--I don't race the car. It has 110,000 miles. I had the timing belt replaced at the same time.

The car now accelerates great. but when I take my foot off the gas in 3rd, 4th gears, I hear a rattling noise below the car. In 3rd gear gear it seems to come from the transmission area, in 4th gear is seems to come from the rear differential. It is hard to hear when the car is cold, easy to hear when the car is warm and I take my foot off the gas when going downhill. It usually occurs around 40 mph, in either gear. Also, if I accelerate going uphill in 3rd gear, the car vibrates a lot at around 2000 rpm, then goes away around 2200 rpm.

I've brought the car back to the shop twice now and they've checked all the heat shields and bolts but haven't found anything.

I fear that there is something loose/misaligned inside the transmission/clutch area and the shop is very reluctant to take it apart again. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Could be a loose transmission mount or rear diff is moving around in the bushings. Did you get a new flywheel or the old one resurfaced? New throwout bushing with the clutch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.