Noise when accelerating in 4th and 5th gear - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

johnsheehan20 is an unknown
Noise when accelerating in 4th and 5th gear

Well let me start off letting you know what I have. I have a 2011 WRX hatch that has a Ultimate Racing CBE, Turbo XS 50/50 BOV, and accessport stage 1 tune. Now to my issue.

I am getting a kind of whistling/whining noise that is most noticeable in 5th gear when accelerating from 60-80 MPH. It can also be heard in 4th gear when accelerating but isn't as noticeable. I haven't been able to notice it when accelerating in 1st, 2nd or 3rd. As far as I can tell, it sounds like the sound is coming from the front of the car. I though it was the turbo when it was spooling up but like I said it doesn't do it in every gear.

This issue just started in the last week. The car now has 12,xxx miles on it. (All highway) The car run/drives the same so I'm not terribly concerned. Yet.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
BOV maybe, can you post a vid of the sound? That would help tremendously.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#3 Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Just accelerating or under boost, like WOT? Is it like "gear whine" or actually whistling? If it's making a whistle sound, I would guess BOV or intake. Car will be pulling more air through the intake in 5th gear typically, turbo spool. I would think if it was a BOV you would hear it in any gear at about the same boost level. Just thinking out loud.
#4 Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

johnsheehan20 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
Just accelerating or under boost, like WOT? Is it like "gear whine" or actually whistling? If it's making a whistle sound, I would guess BOV or intake. Car will be pulling more air through the intake in 5th gear typically, turbo spool. I would think if it was a BOV you would hear it in any gear at about the same boost level. Just thinking out loud.
I can hear it just accelerating, but it is more noticeable the more boost its making. Which is why my first thought was turbo, but like I said I can't seem to hear it in 1st-3rd. It sound more like gear whine to me. I will try to take a video of the sound but I'm not sure if the camera will pick it up over my exhaust as the sound isn't terribly loud. If anyone has ever left a AUX cable plugged into the car with the radio on but nothing plugged into the other end you will hear a whine through the radio. It sounds a lot like that just not as loud.