New clutch and flywheel under warrenty - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Rain_Racer is an unknown
New clutch and flywheel under warrenty

Well they replaced my clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and hydrolic lines and on my way out of the parking lot I actually killed the motor

It is a completly different car, it never felt like this (and I got it new). The clutch is now really easy to push in and engages nicely. My question is how do you guys get the car to start in first without clutch shudder? The only way I have been able to do start off with no clutch shudder is to start at about 2500-3000 RPMs and slowly let it up (or a full-on launch).

Since it is such a different feel, I feel like I am having to learn how to drive a standard all over again and I have driven tons of manuals over the last 10 years (lots that were haaaard to drive). Ever drive an in-dash cable shift Goliath (the first FWD production car shifted like a b!tch) !Laugh!? Howabout a "Finger Clutch" car (where the clutch "pedal" is a trigger on the shifter).

It is weird, the car bogs a lot when the clutch doesn't slip and allow it to build boost. I guess I will have fun learning to drive again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
well, dunno if this is what you're looking for but if everything's right, you should be able to put it on a totally flat surface and just ever so slowly let the clutch out without any gas and it will get going to 1 or 2mph with the clutch not yet released. Try this and see if it still lurches. Parking lot here, not road. You have to let it out as slow as possible with no gas petal. Anyway, if that works then it's just you not being used to it methinks.
#3 Old 05-02-2005, 10:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dave is an unknown
Yeah, I was actually checking into this a bit today, and this is one of the nice things about Subaru; they specifically cover "wear and tear" items like brake pads and clutches and such for the first 36K miles. Basically EVERYTHING is covered! I suppose they could get out of it with some "abuse" allegations, but they'd have to prove it.
#4 Old 05-03-2005, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
ok let me get this stright. i could comptly somke up my clutch and my brake and they'l;l replace it under warrenty??

my clutch is still like that and ive got almost 20k on it, the best way ive found is to tap the ga peddle a little. kind of rev it a little while letting of the clutch.
#5 Old 05-03-2005, 01:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dave is an unknown
No.

Subaru is basically telling you "If this wears out before 36K and you weren't abusing it, it wore out too fast."

But what you descrine would be abuse. Could be considered fraud if you claimed they "just wore out" even - they can see if the clutch has gotten hot, and if your rotors are glazed/warped etc. they could see you've been racing it, know you were lying, and wouldn't replace your brake pads.

So, if it just wears out on its own, yes, you could try to get it replaced under warranty, but it would be a really bad idea to wear it out on purpose and then lie to the dealer, because there's no guarantee any individual dealer wouldn't try to screw you anyway and/or could not tell you had intentionally abused/wore them prematurely.

Sounds like RainRacer's car had clutch problems from the get-go that caused it to wear out (weak springs) and they replaced it. That's cool. My 350Z could eat a clutch in 15K miles, not even being abusive, but Nissan's warranty was for 12K. See, they make that warranty knowing full well that clutch/brake pads aren't likely to wear out before 36K (or whatever the particular mfgr warranty is) miles unless you're abusing them. Or, in the case of the 350Z, it's too wimpy of a clutch to handle the power.
#6 Old 05-03-2005, 01:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Unicron is an unknown
I'm on my second clutch/flywheel. Man driving that thing out of the dealership was nuts, it was a brand new car. I gained two pounds of muscle in my left calf on the drive home.
#7 Old 05-03-2005, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

imbeterthanu is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to imbeterthanu
ah got ya.