Never drop your clutch... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Unhappy Never drop your clutch...

First off, if anyone lives in the portland area and has a tranny for sale, regular wrx, i'd love to hear from you..here's why:

I've been messaging back and forth here trying to figure out what
i did to my car I just bought 3 weeks ago in Cali. I dropped the clutch around 5K rpms and heard a terrible noise. Apparently dropping the clutch in a wrx is a no-fly zone. The next time I took her out, I turned the wheel and heard a terrible banging and felt a jerking to boot. I felt it occasionally going straight. After having the axles replaced, (which were visibly shot,) the shop I had taken it to had no clue what to do next. Through the forum and friends, I got guesses like the fuel delivery is off, the rear dif blew out, the tranny is bad, and the clutch is shot.

Turns out I fried my tranny doing 1 clutch drop with an aftermarket clutch. I'm posting for a couple reasons, for one, when I was looking for similar problems on the forum, I found a few postings, but a lot of times people don't put up a final post after all the conversations to say what the real problem was. Just wanted to help out someone else daignose they're problem if I could. Also, as is said repeatedly on this site by the guys in the know, DO NOT use an Aftermarket clutch with a stock transmision. I Should be out having fun in my new baby, but because the guy who owned this car before put a "racing clutch" in , my car's in the shop waiting and I'm out 2 g's ....Hope this helps someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
BTW, anyone know what a wrx tranny weighs? I need to price shipping.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

THR3E11EVEN is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to THR3E11EVEN
this was a given
no dropping the clutch with AWD
best of luck finding a new tranny...
and just learn from experieces like this.

Dub-R-X
post #4 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 01:06 AM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
tranny weighs close to 150 lbs... Just inside what Fed Ex and UPS allows.

Also you should have inspected the car a little better

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #5 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 01:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
I'm sorry that you had to go through this. I know the previous owner of your car. The "he" that you speak of is a "she", and "she" knew not to do what you did. Like I said though, I'm sorry that you have to go through this. As another member of team broken tranny, I feel your pain. Using an aftermarket clutch with the factory transmission componenets is never a win/win.

You upgrade your gearset, and you'll be golden. I'm sorry that this is the only upside I have for you.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #6 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

You're the second person to tell me that you knew the original non-male owner. I think not, but I could be wrong. To the best of my knowledge, it was a japenese guy who did all of the $15k worth of upgrades to this car, and immediately had to sell it when he had blown through all of his student loan money, lol. I bought it in Cali, through a guy who had bought it directly from the japenese guy with plans to perfect it, which later fell short...enter me. The car's at pdx tuning. After I find my tranny and get a dyno tune, I'll be making some decent numbers.

Btw, upgrading the gearset? Is my only option to go with an Sti Trans? That seem sto be all I hear about. Thanks
post #7 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 02:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

sekretskwirl is an unknown
NOT!!!

I sold it to some Asian but he wasn't Japanese. His name was Ching or Chang or something....he sold it to some Car lot shortly after because he was dumb ass and couldn't afford it in the first place . That Used Car Lot in turn sold it on EBAY a month or so later. I myself also bought the car ON Ebay from the 2nd owner (OHIO) with a bad #3 cylinder for 8500$. This makes you (gasp) the 6th owner! It had 70k on it and NO MODS but the body and interior were perfect.... so you got a heck of deal my good freind!!

We promptly put in a new 2.5 w/vf39 and supporting mods/clutch/Perrin fuel rails, redid everything that was a moving part including all the axels, suspension etc. We all watched the auction and apparently you were the winner of that auction (and for a steal) and the latest proud owner of 'Ole Yeller .

I (with help from my brother) did ALL THE WORK. I must tell you that car has a STOCK FACTORY CLUTCH... Mr. ChingChang obviously lied about all the work to the Used Car place and the 'Car Lot' lied about it having a racing clutch in there Ebay ad. Imagine a used car lot lying on the internet lol. I tried to message you on Ebay but with the new Ebay policy that's impossible. The trans was OK...but indeed it was only a dropped clutch or two away from Subaru Gearbox Heaven.lol. If treated right it could have gone on indefinitely though.

By way please stop beating on my old car!!! I put my heart and soul into that pretty girl and I'd still own it but I got a sudden urge for an STi and had to let it go.I'm over the STi and I'm back to an 02' now...white and wingless and it sure would look great with those precious wheels. You'd better watch it or were coming up there and some morning you'll look out the window and all you'll see is brake discs and blocksLOl kidding of course but if you ever decide to upgrade to 17"s call me right away and I'll buy them back

A six speed upgrade would be nice but there's alot involved. I say go with some stronger gears and later model syncros. If you need some 'real' info on the car PM me directly

Curious...our avatars look strangely alike.L O L (I'll change it someday.....)

danielle

I'm Buggie for Bugeyes
Danielle

Last edited by sekretskwirl; 10-06-2007 at 01:44 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 02:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
You're the second person to tell me that you knew the original non-male owner. I think not, but I could be wrong. To the best of my knowledge, it was a japenese guy who did all of the $15k worth of upgrades to this car, and immediately had to sell it when he had blown through all of his student loan money, lol. I bought it in Cali, through a guy who had bought it directly from the japenese guy with plans to perfect it, which later fell short...enter me. The car's at pdx tuning. After I find my tranny and get a dyno tune, I'll be making some decent numbers.

Btw, upgrading the gearset? Is my only option to go with an Sti Trans? That seem sto be all I hear about. Thanks
I wouldn't rule out that option. The STi 6 spd is a very viable choice.

Had I known then what I know now, I would've done the swap. but, unfortunately, there's more to it than just a tranny swap...

This is where I found that I wasn't worthy.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #9 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Chase. I feel your pain, man. If you can hold off for a month, we are waiting for gears for my five-speed trans. Right now the parts are held up for some reason in customs. Should have them next week sometime, and will put them in the first week of November. Synchro 1-4 helical cut gears and shaft. Not cheap but less than PPG's, and at least as strong. I'd tell you right now the particulars but am waiting to see how they work in my car before I recommend them to anyone else. We plan to dyno tune the car at about 400 lbs. of torque at the wheels. Given your mods, a stock tranny is going to be money down the toilet.
post #10 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
First off, if anyone lives in the portland area and has a tranny for sale, regular wrx, i'd love to hear from you..here's why:

I've been messaging back and forth here trying to figure out what
i did to my car I just bought 3 weeks ago in Cali. I dropped the clutch around 5K rpms and heard a terrible noise. Apparently dropping the clutch in a wrx is a no-fly zone. The next time I took her out, I turned the wheel and heard a terrible banging and felt a jerking to boot. I felt it occasionally going straight. After having the axles replaced, (which were visibly shot,) the shop I had taken it to had no clue what to do next. Through the forum and friends, I got guesses like the fuel delivery is off, the rear dif blew out, the tranny is bad, and the clutch is shot.

Turns out I fried my tranny doing 1 clutch drop with an aftermarket clutch. I'm posting for a couple reasons, for one, when I was looking for similar problems on the forum, I found a few postings, but a lot of times people don't put up a final post after all the conversations to say what the real problem was. Just wanted to help out someone else daignose they're problem if I could. Also, as is said repeatedly on this site by the guys in the know, DO NOT use an Aftermarket clutch with a stock transmision. I Should be out having fun in my new baby, but because the guy who owned this car before put a "racing clutch" in , my car's in the shop waiting and I'm out 2 g's ....Hope this helps someone.
The first thing you should have thought was...

is it safe to drop a clutch at 5k in an awd car like this?

if you still didn't know you should have thought hmm.. those wheels won't break loose.. so all that power is going right back to the tranny.

I blew my tranny on the third day of owning it.. and I bought it brand new.. I didn't drop the clutch. I pulled out of a parking lot.. but unlucky for me.. the car had 150 miles on it and must have been beaten to shit.. which would explain why it was so dirty when I bought it.

get a ppg tranny if you wanna drop the clutch.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #11 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

dsm2wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to dsm2wrx
that car looks strangely familiar
post #12 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah blazin' yella'. I used to be in the Blaze Yella' club but was aced out when I sold Ole Yella'. Amazing where a used car ends up and who's driving it. Carbon Fibre looks great w/blaze IMO

I'm Buggie for Bugeyes
Danielle
post #13 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 09:21 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
WOW look at all these old names popping back out.... Dani you sure have an effect on us guys.... :lol:

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #14 of 30 Old 10-06-2007, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

you guys are crazy ehehehe....it's just a car forum but thanks just the same. Is this guy going to repost or what? When he finds out he's the 6th owner I want to see his reaction!Cry!

I'm Buggie for Bugeyes
Danielle
post #15 of 30 Old 10-07-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

So... How much of this did you do to the car? Brake system? Suspension? Why'd you badge it with an old skool L awd emblem just out of curiosity? And sorry to ruin your fun, I couldn't possibly care less if I was the 60th owner, it is what it is, and I love my car, I'll keep this thing and love it no matter what. It's only money.