need a new clutch and some advice - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnny11 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Johnny11
need a new clutch and some advice

theres no doubt in my mind i need a new clutch on my 03 wrx that has 50k miles...i have read that getting aftermarket clutches can mess up your stock tranny...i am probly going to get the vf39 with a pump and sti pinks...which can give me like 250-260 whp or something around there after the tune...but first i need to get a new clutch, which clutch will be best for the hp range without me having to worry about ruining my transmission...i am willing to spend from 300-550 bucks on the clutch but i just wanna make sure its safe...its for street use only. what should i get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Doesn't sound smart at first... But, I've heard stock clutch...if you have a stock tranny. Because its more about the tranny/gear strength then the clutch. A aftermarket clutch on a stock tranny will just force more pressure on the gears and probably break your tranny easier.
#3 Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
+1 to that^^^^^ while your there make sure u get your flywheel resurfaced if it needs to. u might wanna do it just to be on the safe side.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#4 Old 11-07-2007, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnny11 is an unknown
alright so ill just go for the oem clutch, where should i take it to get the clutch installed and resurface my flywheel
#5 Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
i would find a tune shop that specializes in subarus pm nagyhead, he works at a shop there in washington, might be close to u

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#6 Old 11-07-2007, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnny11 is an unknown
alright thanks for the help
#7 Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Either that or Pacific Import Auto in Puyallup. Google them, they specialize in subies also. Good group of guys.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
i just did my clutch and it was alot more than 350, for just the parts. I went with subaru parts because places like IMC, Carquest, Napa or any other parts supplier needed to special order a WRX clutch. My trans was all apart and I didnt want to wait 3 days for the parts to arrive.

if you need us to put it in for you, give us a call to set an appointment.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#9 Old 11-09-2007, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Johnny11 is an unknown
does this look like a good kit to buy its says its oem? http://www.clutchcityonline.com/products/KSB-03.shtml
#10 Old 11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

VMethos is an unknown
Gripforce.com sells the same OEM Exedy Clutch Kit for $200... but there might be shipping charges depending on how quickly you need it. So, yes, that's the kit you want, but you might be able to get it a little cheaper. Try gripforce, it was only $200 for me to get it through them.
#11 Old 11-09-2007, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnny11 is an unknown
awsome thats alot cheaper than i expected
#12 Old 11-10-2007, 11:20 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
That is the one I would have bought , but my car was on the lift without a trans in it.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

#13 Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
I'd sell you mine--it only had about 5,000 miles on it--but the mechanic at the Subaru dealer, when he replaced the clutch under warranty, DID NOT resurface the fly wheel, AND he left the stickers on the clutch. Lucky for me, we pulled the clutch to replace it with a Clutch Masters 300 kevlar clutch as part of the build. The clutch that the Subaru mechanic had put in was ruined.

Morale of the story: make sure you turn or replace the flywheel. And, just a suggestion, but don't take it to a Subaru dealership to have it replaced.

Given your power goals, the stock clutch should be fine. Don't expect it to last very long if you are going to abuse it, however. For normal driving, it should last a long time.

It's the transmission that you have to worry about, not the clutch.
#14 Old 11-11-2007, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Johnny11 is an unknown
so turning the flywheel is the same thing as resurfacing it? theres no way ill ever take my car to a subaru dealership they could care less about any work they do
#15 Old 11-12-2007, 10:34 AM
WRXpert

yes turning and resurfacing is the same thing, we would resurface the flywheel. Although there is a TSB for our cars to get a new flywheel and flywheel bolts from subaru to get rid of clutch chatter. the new flywheel is thicker and heavier. I opted to have mine resufaced.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ