Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need a new clutch. Need suggestions!

11K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 subaru impreza wrx Cobb stage 2 tune, intake, downpipe, catback exhaust. The car has 64k miles and I'm the 3rd owner. I've owned the car for 7k miles and the clutch is starting to slip in 4th/5th gear between 3000-4500rpm (peak torque range). My guess is that it's starting to go and time for a new one. I believe a previous owner had some bad driving habits as I don't see how I could have destroyed a clutch so soon. Anyways any suggestions on whether I should go with OEM, Exedy OEM replacement, or Exedy stage 1? Would a lightened flywheel do any justice? I plan on modding the car further in the future (big turbo, pump, injectors etc). If none of what I said makes sense, what clutch kit/flywheel should I buy?

#6 ·
pickup a stock clutch, the friction material is more than agressive enough for a stage 1 build. The clutch is the part you want to replace because its relatively cheap. Id rather swap a clutch every 50k miles than swap a trans at the same interval.

Also its good to know that no clutch will blow up your trans. It is the harsh shifts, clutch drops, and launches that will damage your trans. The clutch is just a friction material that connects the engine to the gears. if it doesnt allow things to slip a bit then you end up slapping gears and blowing things up.

If you dont want an OE clutch Exceedy and ACT both make OE replacement clutches that are very similar in construction and friction material to stock units. Not worth the extra money in my book.

#9 ·
I recently replaced my stock clutch on a 2013 WRX with the Exedy stage 1. The stock clutch only had 27k on it, but I wanted an upgrade to handle a bit more power reliably and still feel comfy for daily driving. The pedal feel is a bit stiffer, but not so much to make your left leg feel like it's getting a workout. The grip and engagement of the new clutch feels great, I wish the car came like this from the factory. I also put on moore blast plates, group-n STI tranny mount, and white line tranny member bushings. Yeah I have MUCH more noise and vibration in the cabin now, but I never planned on driving miss daisy around anyways. I'm very happy with the exedy stage 1, just my two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.