Need advice on new clutch - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

zacwrx07 is an unknown
Need advice on new clutch

I got an 07 WRX and I need a new clutch. Please don't tell me about my driving I have heard it enough so I feel bad enough. I took it to the dealership and they said warranty won't cover it and said it would be 2043.00 to replace stock clutch. I know I can get an upgraded clutch for that price. Can anyone give me some advice on what to get and what all I need? If I get a stg2 clutch kit do I have to upgrade the flywheel? Help me out I am new to this and have no idea what I'm doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
With a stock tranny you are going to want a stock clutch. Aftermarket clutch's will put premature ware on your transmission, and after a little while you will end up with an even bigger problem. $2043 sounds like a lot of $$ to just replace a clutch, i would try getting some quotes from other places. My dealer quoted me 850 to replace my clutch including install.
#3 Old 12-03-2007, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
$2043????????????????????????????????????? Insane

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#4 Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
That's a ridiculous price.

You can run an aftermarket clutch no problem with a stock transmission. You just have be aware that you now have a clutch that will take a lot more abuse than will the stock clutch. If you drive in a reasonable manner, it won't make a difference. But if you slip the clutch, then, yes, your transmission is going to complain.

Until I put in my new gears, I ran a ClutchMasters 300 Kevlar clutch. The engine was putting out about 300whp/270wtrq. No problem. The stock gears were in excellent condition when we cracked the trans. Only problem was a couple of bearings that had been damaged because of the fluid that had been in the trans.

The clutch cost about $725, and the only thing that had to be done additional was to turn the flywheel (yes, the stock flywheel is just fine; make sure you turn it, though). I think the cost to turn the flywheel was about $45. A good mechanic will probably charge about $450 to put in the new clutch, maybe less. It took us just a little over an hour to pull the trans (using a hoist and air wrenches). Took about 2.5 hours to put the clutch in and replace the trans (we weren't hurrying).

Hope this helps.
#5 Old 12-03-2007, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

zacwrx07 is an unknown
Thanks. I thought 2000 dollars was high. So if I get an aftermarket clutch it could be rough on my tranny? Do I need to go to a place that specializes in subarus or is the installation similiar to most cars? I don't want to take my car to one of these "performance" shops that play with hondas all day.

Anyone happen to know a place that is reliable subie shop around Memphis? or within a hundred miles or so. I can put her on a trailer and get er there.
#6 Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boostbuddy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Boostbuddy Send a message via Yahoo to Boostbuddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxman420 View Post
With a stock tranny you are going to want a stock clutch.
Exactly right...and 2K is a ridiculous price...check around your local performance shops and see what they can do for ya.
#7 Old 12-03-2007, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
If you upgrade your clutch your aremuch more likely to break your transmission, with that said it is your choice.

2gs for a clutchkit and install is ridiculous, you can get a stock clutch kit from gripforce.com for like 200 bucks compared to the about 600 at subaru. find out the cost per hour at subaru and how many hours the swap books for, I want to say around 5.5 but I may be wrong.

They can't void your warentee if your using a stock clutch kit, it is the same part number.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#8 Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

zacwrx07 is an unknown
I checked out gripforce.com and all they had was 2002-2004 2.0L clutch. Where is a place to buy the stock for the 2007?
#9 Old 12-03-2007, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
isnt exedy the stock clutch setup...?
#10 Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
Yep. I don't know if they changed it for the later years but I know that 02-05 is

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#11 Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

zacwrx07 is an unknown
The site does not give me the option of seeing if they have anything for the 06-07 models. Think the exedy comes on the 07?
#12 Old 12-03-2007, 11:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

zacwrx07 is an unknown
Found a stock clutch kit for $359 on clutchcityonline.com. I know I could purchase this and get it installed in a quality shop for under $2000.