looking for options for my 5spd. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

MrFisty is an unknown
looking for options for my 5spd.

02 wxr cant shift into 1st gear till car is stopped. all other gears are fine. looking for ideas and web sits to go to for prices on new or rebuilt trannys, or rebuild kits. please give me some ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
There is nothing wrong with your tranny. This a normal quirk of our trannys. You are just going have to get used to it. It took me about 2 weeks for me to get used to it .now I don't even notice it.

Some have had luck making it better by changing the tranny oil to include 1qt Redline lightweight shockproof.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#3 Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFisty View Post
02 wxr cant shift into 1st gear till car is stopped.
So where is the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
This a normal quirk of our trannys.
It's not a quirk, it was specifically built to do that. It's a lock out.
#4 Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
So where is the problem?

It's not a quirk, it was specifically built to do that. It's a lock out.
I find this hard to believe. A lock-out to prevent what? And if this is a lock-out why can I get into 1st on a roll sometimes? Does this mean my "lock-out" isn't working properly?

This is the first I've heard of this. And I've been on these WRX forums for over 10 years. Can you back up this claim?

I have driven a car with a "lock out" but the gear that was locked out was reverse. It was a '67 GTO with a Doug Nash 4 speed with a Hurst inline ratchet shifter. That baby could smoke the tires in all 4 gears and lift the front wheels off the track on the hole-shot with ease. With that much power you REALLY don't want to slip into reverse so it had a separate lever for reverse.

Feature or flaw it all means the same thing. A PITA for the driver and it's NORMAL for the WRX.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#5 Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
I find this hard to believe. A lock-out to prevent what? And if this is a lock-out why can I get into 1st on a roll sometimes? Does this mean my "lock-out" isn't working properly?

This is the first I've heard of this. And I've been on these WRX forums for over 10 years. Can you back up this claim?

I have driven a car with a "lock out" but the gear that was locked out was reverse. It was a '67 GTO with a Doug Nash 4 speed with a Hurst inline ratchet shifter. That baby could smoke the tires in all 4 gears and lift the front wheels off the track on the hole-shot with ease. With that much power you REALLY don't want to slip into reverse so it had a separate lever for reverse.

Feature or flaw it all means the same thing. A PITA for the driver and it's NORMAL for the WRX.

Google "WRX 1st gear lock out" for 10 years of results. It's there to prevent people from downshifting to 1st on accident. It will only shift in at low rolling speeds as a safety feature. In all my years of driving a WRX with this (my current trans does not have it) it was never a problem for me. I could only see it interfering in situations such as autocross, but that's just from my experience. If need be there are ways around it. From what I remember this disappeared when the introduced dual synchros in the '06s, but I could be wrong.
#6 Old 12-29-2012, 12:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

I did just that. most of the replies read like this;

The reason I found this thread was because I was searching on google to find why I was having so much trouble downshifting into first from second at a reasonable speed. This is needed, especially in critcally important situations, because this car has a LOT of turbo lag, and it's hard to pull at 10mph in 2nd gear. When you've slowed down to enter an intersection, and then realize you have time to make a left turn if you go quickly, and begin to go, can't shift to first, go back to second, floor it, and get nothing because of turbo lag... that is a serious safety problem caused by a bad transmission.

First off, the reason many people talked about going into 2nd before 1st from a standstill in other cars: most gearboxes are a combination crashbox and synchro'd box, with synchros on all gears except 1st and reverse. Since these gears are only needed (theoretically) from a standstill, you don't really need synchros. Therefore, shifting into second allows you to get the drive shaft (I believe I have this the right way) moving at close to the speed of the first gear so that you can then shift to first more easily.

The WRX, however, has a "fully sychromeshed" gearbox, according to the manual. That, I assume, means that every gear, even first and reverse, has sychnros.

Now, if there's a block, an actual bar that steps in and prevents you from going into first from above 10 mph, that would be one thing. But that's not the case, because people are reporting a grinding sound, which indicates the synchro is NOT working. (No matter how you cut it, a grinding synchro is NOT a safety feature). That's called permanent damage. Anyone saying that Subaru made the car to grind in order to save the engine is making a logical mistake, because that would trade the gearbox for the engine. Further, I'd rather burn out the first gear than total the whole car because I can't hit first and the engine bogs and I get nailed making a low speed left turn. That saves the gearbox but wrecks the whole car. Not good either.

So, does first have a synchro? If so, why can't you shift into it at a reasonable speed? If the engine can stand doing 30mph in 1st (which I'm pretty sure is possible) why can't you shift into it? If I shove the hell out of the gear and make it engage, the engine can take it. So am I meant to shove the gear? This is what you'd do in a Porsche, and let their best-around synchros do the work.

As for the lag, this is not a naturally aspirated Ferrari or a twin turbo Porsche. The twin turbo can be tuned to cut down on lag. This is instead a car with a big, laggy turbo, that needs gearing to keep it in the right rev range. You don't want to be sitting at 2k rpms waiting for the turbo to hit, because you'll be waiting a long time. That's when you need to downshift. I've driven other turbos (Saab 93, Audi 1.8T, VW GTI 1.8T, and Mazda RX-7) and they have less lag, especially the RX-7 with twin sequential turbo. The WRX has more power (maybe not than the 7), but the lag is greater.

To sum it up, there are times when the 2-1 downshift is necessary, no matter how good a driver you are. The turbo lag makes the downshift necessary. Blipping might work, by why is it needed? (And no, this is a bug, not a feature.) So what to do? Cram it into gear? Blip, even though it's slower? Take it to the dealer? Never drive at under 30 mph? (From NASIOC)

MOST of the posts I read lean towards what I said. Using the words "bug" "fault" to describe this "flaw". After more digging (more than I really wanted to) I found a few posts to support what you said. This is probably the reason I never heard of this as a FEATURE.

#7 Old 12-29-2012, 01:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bryce'sWRX is an unknown
Garage
This isn't a problem! its a safety thing, if you would happen to downshift into first from fourth by accident, the engine wouldn't be able to withstand the RPMS. So its a lock out until the car feels its a safe time to put the car in first gear. I was confused when i first bought my car with that as well!
#8 Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

That is what the rev-limiter is for. This isn't a safety feature it is a flaw. Show me something from SUBARU that says otherwise and I'll shut up! Either way, To the OP It's NORMAL.

#9 Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Bryce'sWRX is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
That is what the rev-limiter is for. This isn't a safety feature it is a flaw. Show me something from SUBARU that says otherwise and I'll shut up! Either way, To the OP It's NORMAL.
Thats true man..if i wanna make a quick turn these cars have ridiculous turbo lag and not enough low end power to make a quick turn in second...so i find myself always having to wait for cars because im having to slow down to 5 mph until it will LET me shift into 1st. really more annoying then anything...
#10 Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Here's some info that is worth a read:

Why does 1st gear grind? Read here - NASIOC

Found that as a link on this page:

Unabomber's Manifesto - Shifting FAQ - MySubie.com

Personally, when I think about shoving my stick into any gear or making aggressive turning maneuvers at slow speed (without smooth momentum), I cringe at the thought of what kind of shock I might be putting on my WRX's AWD drivetrain and transmission. So, I have adapted my driving style to exclude those types of actions with my WRX. Other cars that I have owned were more tolerant of those types of actions, and consequently were more fun at low speeds. Some people may call me "over cautious", but I've been running a mild stage 2 engine setup (for 6 years) with zero transmission problems (for over 8 years). Aside from being "over cautious" at low speeds, the other factor that has been beneficial to me (and perhaps could be beneficial to the OP) has been changing my transmission fluid every year (regardless of need).

I hope my words are not perceived as condescending, I just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences.~^^

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#11 Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

MrFisty is an unknown
im pretty sure the sychro for 1st is shot. ive had this issue w a different car in the past. Im looking for places to go to buy a good gear set or a rebuilt trans.
#12 Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Maybe you can drive someone else's 02-05 WRX and compare them. Before you get a new tranny only to find we were right all along. Just to be on the safe side.

I know plenty of people who never had ABS before tell me there is some weird grinding coming from their brakes only to find out their brakes are OK that is just the noise they make when the ABS is working.

Who knows, maybe you will find the only WRX 5-speed tranny that can easily get into 1st on a roll. Good luck with that.

#13 Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage