Subaru WRX Forum banner

kevlar clutch chatter

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TwoCobras 
#1 ·
Has anyone had experience with a Kevlar clutch? I've got a ClutchMasters 200 in mine, and it chatters no matter what I do, no matter how much I feather it even in normal, daily driving. It also chatters when I downshift, and it seems to chatter about the same when downshifting no matter the rpm. Accelerating under load, especially high load, it is silent (but still chatters when I downshift).

It's got about 3,500 miles on it, mostly highway miles.

The engine is dialed to only 270 lbs of torque at the wheels. Yes, it's a stock 02 tranny. But that is a temporary condition (until we can get gears from Aus. to build the tranny). I'm driving it REAL CAREFUL, until the gears are put in. After the gears are put in, we'll dial it up to 450whp/400lbs. I'm thinking that if the clutch chatters now, what's it going to do when it has some serious torque to contend with?

#3 ·
Yes. Maybe it's a little worse since we first put it in. For sure, it hasn't gotten better. I understand that with the Kevlar, when new the Kevlar has a "fur" on it that is quickly worn off, and then the Kevlar becomes much harder. But near as I can tell there hasn't been much change at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.