• 1 Post By jliu
  • 1 Post By arewmors
  • 1 Post By turmic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jliu is an unknown
Kartboy shifter /bushings

I know this topic has been written numerous times in all the WRX forums. I just want to put my two cents from my personal experience with the product.

I used to drive a Miata before I acquired a 2014 WRX hatch. I guessed I was spoiled on the smooth and precise shifting from the Miata. The WRX shifting was absolutely terrible. I felt like I was driving a truck.

I want to approach the WRX shifting issue in stages. I first replaced the stock shift knob with a Blox 490 knob. The shifter length was lowered about an inch with the new shift knob. This effectively improved the shifting a bit.

Drove the car a week and decided to install the Kartboy short shifter that everyone raves about. No disappointment at all. The addition of the Kartboy short shifter was an additional improvement to my quest of better shifting. However, the shifting still felt very notchy. It really took a lot of effort to get into any gears. Again, drove the car a week and could not stand it anymore.

Finally bit the bullet and installed the Kartboy front and rear shifter bushings. All I can say is Subaru should have used those bushings from the factory. What a transformation! Now the shifting is smooth(as it can be) and precise. I did not experience any vibrations nor noise from the install of the bushings as others did.

The install however was a major PITA. I ended up cross threaded one of the bolts for the rear bushings. The space was so tight that it was nearly impossible to start the second bolt. I improvised by using some ss washers to fill in the space between the head of the bolt and the bushing as I did not want to force and potentially breaking the bolt. It is all good but eventually I will re-tap the hole and do it properly.

my 2 cents.......
richietables likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Did you remove the heat shield when you were installing the bushings? It gives you more room to move and less cuts on your arms. It's 4 easy bolts, unplug the O2 sensor feed it across the brace and gently bend/roll the heat shield out. This will give you a little more room, especially for the rear bushing. Man people including myself had a tough time with the rear bushing. Took much patience. I too had partially stripped the first few thread in the hole, then magically with much ambition I was able the get the 2nd bolt in and started and the hole re-taped itself. I was nervous so a gave it a week or two and checked to make sure everything was solid and it was. Good luck with re-tapping the whole. It is definitely not easy to get. I was lucky and had a lift, so I wasn't laying on the ground which was nice as well. Is fully worth hassle and aggravation.
richietables likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
post #3 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jliu is an unknown
I did remove the heat shield. I had room to work on the rear bushing. It was the spread of the holes in the rear bushing that were very tight to thread the second bolt. It is working now. What I have now should be fine, it is more of proper way to tie things up. I agree with you it was quite a transformation with these bushings and was worth the effort for sure.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-08-2013, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It's why the Cobb/Mode Racing shifter with kartboy front and rear bushings is the best setup.
pzr2874 likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #5 of 5 Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

richietables is an unknown
Thanks for the detailed review of the Kartboy gear. I waited 8 years to do it on my '05 and now I like the car more than when it was new. And yes, getting the second bolt in the rear bushing almost led me to start drinking again.....:eek:

Rich
2005 WRX Wagon (1st owner)
1965 Malibu Convertible
2009 Corvette Coupe (Silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement