Subaru WRX Forum banner

just some tranny questions before buying

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  nightcrawler 
#1 ·
ok ive been wanting an STi for a while now but with my finacial situation i think i can only afford a WRX still great i love them too, i read the tranny sticky above and people say ooohh wrx have glass trannys but ive been reading around with people saying their tranny holds up, im a person who babies their car and doesnt really car about the guy next to me who wants to race i just like to cruise and hear a turbo hear and ther spool up on the way to the beach ok ok past the non sense, im basically looking into buying a 04-06 WRX , the mods i want to start out with would prob definatly be the cobb stage 2 AP, with a cobb down pipe to a the hks carbon ti cat back exhaust and maybe an intake , would the tranny hold up if i dont beat on it? but possibly be in gear and you know ocassionally step on the gas but not fly through my gears? sorry it was a long post

#3 ·
the stock intake system has enough throughput for most street mods, so you can save yourself the $50. unless the sound of the engine gulping in air is worth $50. but no, there will be no real advantage to an intake with the mods you listed.

as long as you dont launch your car and slam gears you will be fine with the stock 04-06 trans with the mods you listed.

welcome to the boards.

#4 ·
thanks, so the tranny will hold up with cobb stage 2? thats all i really plan on doing then until i save more money for the sti gear box , yea ill leave the intake out prob just put in a K&N filter then. sorry one last question is the wrx a little cheaper to maintain than the STi?

#9 ·
i have the cobb ap with the sti intercooler, turbo, injectors and exhaust with stock motor/tranny with no problems. i drag a bit with the strip is open. i slip the clutch out at 5000 rpm...i launch just hard enough to chirp the tires and the only problem i have is im running out of clutch quick.

i have the 350hp rated tune cobb has up there with the vf 39 and the car is running strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.