Send a message via AIM to TheRex
its time for a new clutch

anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-11-2004, 09:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

redtangent is an unknown
You might want to do a search but i remember reading that the stock clutch is the best bet unless your highly moded. Some aftermarket clutch like ACT actually can grip too much and not slip enough, this puts more stress on the gearbox making it more likely to break. I think when i kill my clutch i will just get another stock one, but i'm no expert.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-13-2004, 12:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
I put in the Exedy replacement clutch, had an ACT before that I took out after I shredded the teeth off of second gear. do a search to get other clutch ideas or if you want to see the pics from my trans.

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
post #4 of 11 Old 09-02-2004, 01:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Swift Suba is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Swift Suba
I Too would have to go for the Stock Replacement untill i hear some benefits on the positive side of the aftermarket.....As far as Exedy... Seems like a lot of people travel that route...Never heard any complaints. Grabs like a Mo-Fo I hear. Still waitin for the damn recall on these trannys
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2004, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
the Exedy seems to grab a touch harder than stock, has a stiffer pedal as well. feels like a small step up from stock. and it was less money than OEM parts (even with my discount)

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
post #6 of 11 Old 09-03-2004, 01:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Suba
I Too would have to go for the Stock Replacement untill i hear some benefits on the positive side of the aftermarket.....As far as Exedy... Seems like a lot of people travel that route...Never heard any complaints. Grabs like a Mo-Fo I hear. Still waitin for the damn recall on these trannys
You'll be waiting until death I believe. Bottom line is Subaru put a tranny in that can not even hold stock power and they don't care. They are selling WRXs and that's what matters. They void everyones warranty on the tranny saying "it's abuse" and keep their money in the bank.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-03-2004, 09:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well...hmmmm

that's an interesting commentary....

not sure i completely agree. But of course i've not seen the stats or heard the numbers...

my tranny has yet to fail, car has over 51k miles on it, and i've been no angel with it. I used to launch from 5k rpm when stock, i'm nearing 295 WHP, and still no probs with tranny. So are you saying some are getting stuck with specifically bad or defective tranny components??? and therefore a partial recall of those with broken trannys should be conducted???

Seems to me that would be a green light for everyone with a WRX to start launching their car and trying to break the tranny.

I'm rarely one to stick up for Subaru of America and their antics for supporting or abandoning certain warranty issues, but I find it non-coincidental that WRX's are turning up with broken trannys AND WRXs are cars that find their best drag-type runs from standing starts beyond 4000rpms...

I'm really curious to know the actual failure rate of WRX trannys and see a breakdown of the actual parts that are failing... but i'm willing to guess that its not a rate indicative of poor tranny design or a design not able to support the power made by the car using it. Rather i would suggest that the stock WRX tranny was engineered quite substantially and is able to hold power well beyond the stock WRX's figures, as well as the stock clutch... Now the EVO on the other hand... that's more likely a weak design for clucth and or tranny. I've heard from several local EVO folks who've already replaced clutch and/or tranny with less than 15k miles on the car.

It truly all boils down to how you drive the car, IMO. So far so good with many of us with stock WRX's, and many of us with WRX's making quite a bit more than stock power too.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-03-2004, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subie Gal is an unknown
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXronald
that's an interesting commentary....

not sure i completely agree. But of course i've not seen the stats or heard the numbers...

my tranny has yet to fail, car has over 51k miles on it, and i've been no angel with it. I used to launch from 5k rpm when stock, i'm nearing 295 WHP, and still no probs with tranny. So are you saying some are getting stuck with specifically bad or defective tranny components??? and therefore a partial recall of those with broken trannys should be conducted???

It truly all boils down to how you drive the car, IMO. So far so good with many of us with stock WRX's, and many of us with WRX's making quite a bit more than stock power too.
very well put.

even in my SCCA ProRally WRX...
stock tranny..... with 2 full years of RACING

no issues whatsoever.
hmmmm... glass tranny my arse
you have got to know and understand how to drive it properly

back to the original question.
the OE Exedy clutch is a fantastic option
pulls well, nice and smooth, good power and made for your tranny
$300ish? (not including flywheel) not a bad price for something that works.

hope this helps
Jamie
post #9 of 11 Old 09-03-2004, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
I paid around 265ish for mine, and that was through car quest! their stock replacement kit was the Exedy unit. as far as tranny problems there were issues with EARLY production units getting by with gears that were hardened excessivly, this resulted in brittle teeth likely to shear off. there has been 5 running changes to the internals of the WRX trans to correct these problems. no recall will likely result because the running production changes take care of most problems and the tranny holds up fine under "normal" use. I race my car, I break my car, I fix my car. that is the chance we take by modding.

post #10 of 11 Old 09-03-2004, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Scoob
I paid around 265ish for mine, and that was through car quest! their stock replacement kit was the Exedy unit. as far as tranny problems there were issues with EARLY production units getting by with gears that were hardened excessivly, this resulted in brittle teeth likely to shear off. there has been 5 running changes to the internals of the WRX trans to correct these problems. no recall will likely result because the running production changes take care of most problems and the tranny holds up fine under "normal" use. I race my car, I break my car, I fix my car. that is the chance we take by modding.
What exactly have they changed? I have read of the mystery "strengthening" of the 05 tranny case but no other real changes. I am very interested to know.

I currently just passed 29K on my REX and I have no tranny issues. What concerns me is the lack of support from Subaru. I have driven 3 other manual tranny cars although this is the first with AWD. 2 went to 100K+ miles with no problems the thrid got wrecked early in its life. I admit the AWD took some adapting to but I am not a bad manual tranny driver. If my syncros went bad tomorrow I'd most likely be told it was "driver abuse" How can anyone justify this as reasonable? I do understand the unscrupulous people with a Stage 3 or 4 that have swapped a ton of parts being voided. Doubling the WHP is obviously not what was intended for the car. I have modded other cars (never modded any car heavily including the REX) in the past and had no worries of voided warranties at Nissan or Toyota dealers. This seems to be a Subaru/Mitsubishi tactic. I do have a mostly stock WRX. Just got UTEC a couple weeks ago. Other than that I have done some bushings, a TT and a RSTB. Nothing that could cause damage in any way.

I guess the bottom line is how can you market a car as FAST, SPORTY, HIGH PERFORMACE, show it in the dirt and sand tearing up the ground and then when someone does what is advertised of the car they say "well you are abusing it so it's your problem". That says false advertising to me.

On a lighter side does anyone know a good Scooby dealer in the Metro Detroit area? I have been going to Glassman and they are not very good. I've had my car in 3 times for the driver seat wobbling and they still claim not to see any problem. I can sit in it and literally rock back and forth slightly! They did the recall for the track bolt and I hoped that would fix it but no dice!
post #11 of 11 Old 09-19-2004, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TheRex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TheRex
well....i ended up getting the Exedy w/lightened flywheel. it's got a nice, almost stock-like feel to it. as exedy makes the stock clutch anyway, i expected this. everything is back to working order...but

i might be getting a legacy GT so who knows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement