Interchanging/Storing gears? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Interchanging/Storing gears?

I'm buying a 2004 STi transmission to swap for my 2002 wrx 5-speed. I bought PPG 1-4 gears for my 02 trans and broke them in but shortly afterwards my bearings went bad inside the trans (yes I bought all new bearings when I was putting the gears in). Can I swap my PPG gears into the new 6-speed? What about the LSD, shifter forks, and synchros? They all have 800 miles on them and were broken in together new. If so then how can I store the 6-speed gears so they wont rust? If not then how can I store the 5-speed transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If Im not mistaken the 5spd and 6spd gears themselves are not interchangable. Do you know what caused the bearings to go out so quickly? Especially if they are/were brand new. Doesnt sound good at all. And as far as storage, not really sure, except to store them with lubrication on them. Did you build the trans yourself or have a shop do them? If a shop did them I would surely be talking to them about the bearing failure.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
no the 5 speed and 6 speed are completely different gear boxes

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #4 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Entirely differet transmission bell housings and gear boxes. From what I've been told...the 5 spd is more like 3 different sections that work together and the 6 spd is one section. Which is why it weighs more than the 5 spd transmissions. Its what my tuner's mechanic has told me. Which is why its easy for one person to take out a 5 spd from a lift and why its pretty much impossible for one people to take a 6 spd out from a lift is because its so heavy and bulky. Its also a rumor that a 5 spd transmission bell housing can flex and warp...were I have not heard of the 6 spd trans housing doing that. I wish I had pictures to show the differences.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #5 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 09:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Did you contact PPG/vendor your purchased through to see if PPG could help you out with any sort of warranty?

Quote:
Do you offer a warranty on your products?

Yes, the warranty extends to all our range and can be downloaded from this website for further reading. Of course, if any problems do occur with our products, subject to our terms and conditions, PPG endeavors to help wherever possible to get our customers back on the road as soon as possible.
FAQ - Pfitzner Performance Gearbox

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Problem being is that PPG has denied warrantys if it wasn't installed by a approved transmission shop.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #7 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Ahhh, gotcha. Still doesn't hurt to call, worst they can say is "No". I actually just read their Terms&Conditions .pdf. It doesn't mention anything about denial of warranty due to installation not being done by an approved shop.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
post #8 of 11 Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
the bearings that failed should be a Subaru OE part not PPG, they only manufacture the gearsets and just use factory bearings

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #9 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Right so that sucks that they aren't interchangeable . I took the transmission out and I put it back in but I had the dealership mechanic put the gears, synchros, shift forks, and bearings (all brand new or should have been) on and into the trans while i was working out of state. I have no idea why they went bad so quickly. I finished putting the transmission in and I took it very easy driving to break them in. After I broke them in with a little more than the 750 miles that were suggested I was playing a turbo diesel from a dig, but after one time they go bad? After that it started acting up again so I just want to get a 6 speed. I'm going to contact the dealership and see if I can get it either fixed or refunded since I was supposed to have all brand new bearings and synchros from them. The only problem is going to be finding the reciept since I packed all of my stuff up since I bought everything.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can store any car part (for the most part) in a tub of auto grease.

Read a story yrs ago of a Willis from the 50's being stored in 55gal drums filled with grease until 2006 or so when it was pulled out to assemble it.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #11 of 11 Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Wow, thats crazy to hear that your tranny went out like that. I have pretty much the same set up as you, and have gotten almost 18k out of mine. Did the transmission flush the other day, was still pretty good looking with hardly any shavings in it or anything. I would do the best at finding the info and talking to the dealership about the issue at hand. Good luck with it all.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement