Im dumb! pLeAsE eXpLaIn - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

shoefean is an unknown
Exclamation Im dumb! pLeAsE eXpLaIn

Can someone on this planet please explain why wrx's have weak trannys and what does it mean? Should i or should i not smoke the next fool who pulls up next to me at a red light or should i drive like grandpa??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

DesiSuperman is an unknown
its not necessarily a weak tranny, its the awd drive thing. Just dont slam through the gears, you should be fine.
#3 Old 06-08-2007, 01:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
alot of has to do with the driver. ive put alot of abuse on my tranny and i have 56000 miles and it still has smooth shifting and no issues. just make sure u slip ## clutch and don't dump the clutch. ive got money set aside just in case the situation should arise, but keep in mind it costs to play. i think it's all on the driver.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#4 Old 06-08-2007, 02:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
ever heard the saying its not the tool its the user?

its the driver not the tranny theres plenty of subies driving around there that havent blown their trannies. if your dumping the clutch being a dickhead then any car will break shit.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#5 Old 06-08-2007, 03:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

ilovecake is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ilovecake Send a message via MSN to ilovecake Send a message via Yahoo to ilovecake
02 wrx here with 61k on the tranny and no problems! Take care of your stuff and your stuff will take care of you. Rev matching is also a good idea.

Save the environment or ill f***ing kill you!
#6 Old 06-08-2007, 03:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jakes02 is an unknown
93k on my '02 with no problems. Like said above, slip the clutch.
#7 Old 06-08-2007, 04:20 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoefean View Post
Can someone on this planet please explain why wrx's have weak trannys and what does it mean? Should i or should i not smoke the next fool who pulls up next to me at a red light or should i drive like grandpa??????
There are three fundamental factors.

1) AWD means wheelspin is non-existant. All the stress is put squarely on the tranny. There's more weight on the drivetrain (all 4 wheels) behind the tranny as well which adds stress

2) people run way more than stock power levels

3) the WRX is primarily targetted at 16-25 year old males who are notoriously bad (aggressive) drivers.

Obviously if 2 and 3 aren't a factor for you, you can expect a much longer life. To protect your tranny, don't drop the clutch (slip it), don't push into gear (this doesn't make you any faster) and don't rest your hand on the shifter (don't put weight down on the shifter more than you have to).

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 06-08-2007, 04:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
There are three fundamental factors.

1) AWD means wheelspin is non-existant. All the stress is put squarely on the tranny. There's more weight on the drivetrain (all 4 wheels) behind the tranny as well which adds stress

2) people run way more than stock power levels

3) the WRX is primarily targetted at 16-25 year old males who are notoriously bad (aggressive) drivers.

Obviously if 2 and 3 aren't a factor for you, you can expect a much longer life. To protect your tranny, don't drop the clutch (slip it), don't push into gear (this doesn't make you any faster) and don't rest your hand on the shifter (don't put weight down on the shifter more than you have to).
+1 to that. This has been another subject that has been beaten to death. And dont "street race" be more mature and better than the person next to you. If you want to prove something, do it at a track.
#9 Old 06-09-2007, 06:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
it does not have weak trannies. it however has a lot of traction, power and torque, about 3 times more than your average similar car.
#10 Old 06-09-2007, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Yea dont bother racing the guy next to you. It's fun when the car pulls up next to you and he revs his engine and looks at you and wants to race. What you should do is rev you engine up like your going to and when the light turns green he takes off and before you know it he's wondering where you are. Or do the same thing and if your in the right lane, just make the turn BTW nice color choice, we dont see to many red WRX's around here. I think it has to do with the whole cop thing:eek:

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#11 Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXjonny is an unknown
Some of you mentioned to slip the clutch to help protect the tranny. What exactly does it mean to slip the clutch?
#12 Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

arm0313 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
don't push into gear (this doesn't make you any faster)
Please explain this.
#13 Old 08-22-2007, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by arm0313 View Post
Please explain this.
As well as rev matching. what does it mean

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#14 Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXjonny View Post
Some of you mentioned to slip the clutch to help protect the tranny. What exactly does it mean to slip the clutch?
Do not just "dump" the clutch.You have to let the clutch eat just for a second.Basiclly you will burn it alittle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm0313 View Post
Please explain this.
Do not force the shifter into gear as fast as possible.You have to let the synchros match up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
As well as rev matching. what does it mean
It has more to do with down shifting.You blip the throttle in mid shift to bring the rpms of the engine up to match the speed of the tranny/gear you have shifted down too.This keeps the cars velocity up.Keeps the nose from diving as well.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=587096 This link is a shifting FAQ

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#15 Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

07wrxguy is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes02 View Post
93k on my '02 with no problems. Like said above, slip the clutch.

what does slip the clutch mean. sorry new to all of this