I'm Scared ... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-13-2006, 01:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dyminh is an unknown
I'm Scared ...

Hey Guys... Newb poster and not really a mechanical genious i read alot of the threads and some of the problems sound "kinda" like mine but none of them sound "exactly" like mine. My issue arose several days ago. I was driving to wal-mart to get a heater for my house b/c it is extra cold, and i noticed that the shifting was a lil rough. it seemed like i couldnt get the clutch to disengage. the reason i say this is b/c the pedal is pretty loose till about 75-80% depressed then there is resistance. i drove the 2 miles home without much problem but the next day it was worse.
I work about 20 miles away from my house and about halfway i noticed that it was really hard to shift without grinding. i stopped at my friends house and parked in his driveway, we talked about it but only briefly b/c i had to go. when i went to leave... the car refused to go into reverse... i rolled it out of the driveway, "negotiated" it into first -.- babied it to work and back. knowing that the trannies on the 02wrx are weaksauce im beginning to panic. fortunately living with my gf i can have a car down and be ok. i just gotta drop her off like 30 miles out of the way this was 3 days ago. ive left the car to sit in front of the house b/c i dont want to make a bad situation worse.
I went outside this morning to check on my baby and now it seems there is another symptom... the clutch pedal is sticking when i depress it... not permanently, but there is a "sticky" noise and a disruption in the motion of the pedal. still cant change gears without pumpin the clutch and playin with the shifter... sometimes 2nd... sometimes 3rd... rarely first... forget reverse. Help Ive read some of the possible problems... and potential solutions....

Summary of Symptoms:
Does not shift Smoothly IF at all
Clutch pedal seems loose
Sticky sensation in clutch pedal
Reverse No Dice

Car:
02 WRX
76k miles
Stock

From Reading some of the Posts that are similar to mine it sounds like one or a combination of several problems... and please correct me if im wrong

Synchros
Clutch Fluid
Gear oil

Honestly i have NO mechanical background...and beyond the brochure i dont know a whole lot about my car... but logically given the symptoms and the tenacity with which my car has been incapacitated... i am under the impression that my clutch system is broken. it seems to me that a pressurized line has been compromised and i simply cant use it s... subsequently, preventing me from disengaging it completely, subsequently, making it grind.

I'd really like to get the whole "upgrade the glass box" thing out the way ... but right now? please tell me theres another way

Thank you in advance for your help.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
It really sounds like your clutch is not disengaging the transmission all the way, and making your shifts tough. Bring it in to have a professional look at it. If you are really worried have it towed there.
#3 Old 12-14-2006, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJay is an unknown
Time for a New clutch bro!

BigJay-My 04 Rex loves mustangs to death literally
#4 Old 12-14-2006, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
It sounds like a clutch problem, if all the gears still work then it's not the gearbox, and if the clutch is sticking and not disengaging ect, then it kinda narrows it down. Take it to somewhere like a Aamco or Subaru dealer and has them try to diagnose the prolem.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
#5 Old 12-14-2006, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

stang hunter is an unknown
Clutch for sure I had a accord do the same thing.
#6 Old 12-14-2006, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
replace it with the oem its expensive but cheaper than new gears
#7 Old 12-14-2006, 06:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

dewrx02 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedogomer
It sounds like a clutch problem, if all the gears still work then it's not the gearbox, and if the clutch is sticking and not disengaging ect, then it kinda narrows it down. Take it to somewhere like a Aamco or Subaru dealer and has them try to diagnose the prolem.
Do not take it to Aamco they are freckin idiots! They suck at subaru transmissions believe me i know. If you have a tuner near you ask him if they can look at it,and if not then go to Subaru.Subaru actually installed my Sti RA gears.Should have gone PPG's but Aamco two times around, yeah they suck ate up alot of my money.But so far so good on the RA's and ACT clutch.
#8 Old 12-14-2006, 07:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dyminh is an unknown
Sweet... thanks for the information and the direction. i was prepared to start looking at new gearsets, thank god i dont have to... yet. OEM clutch ftw?
#9 Old 12-14-2006, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
I've personally never been to Aamco.

If they do really suck, then take his advice and stay away.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
#10 Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXPhil is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXPhil
if its effecting all of your gears like u said it is then its deffinatly your clutch

The devil drives a WRX
#11 Old 12-14-2006, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
yea oem for sure unless you upgrade the gearset which while its out why not but tahts just me haha

if its not the gearset and it is the clutch most def go with the OEM clutch or else you will be looking for a new gearset very soon
#12 Old 12-20-2006, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dyminh is an unknown
New Development: I intended on driving my car across town to my friends house to get fixed.... to my surprise when i went to start the motor the clutch stayed on the floorboard. so now i have no choice but to get it towed. any new ideas as to the problem? and just making sure... since our cars are AWD we need to be towed on a flatbed, right?
#13 Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
Yes tow on a flatbed... And that is for sure your clutch... You may have a worn throw out bearing/release bearing... All that will come with a new clutch.. It isn't really difficult to do, but if you have no mechanical sense then get it done professionally... Don't forget to either have your flywheel resurfaced or replaced.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#14 Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jamo06TR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Jamo06TR
Before you go spending money on a new clutch, bleed your slave cylander to make sure there is no air in the system. Youll know if there is air in the system if its soft, but if you pump the clutch it gets hard, and then soft again. It IS most likely your clutch as everyone else here is saying, but there is no harm in checking the fluids, the most it can cost is the amount of a bottle or two of brake fluid.

*edit*

I just read that u said you have to pump it to get it into any gear, definatly bleed your clutch slave cylander, DEFINATLY.

jamopwnsu
#15 Old 12-22-2006, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dyminh is an unknown
thanks again. i wont know until thursday what exactly is wrong. ill keep everyone posted. /crosses fingers.