How much power can my 2013 WRX handle? Mod list. - Subaru WRX Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

T-WRX13 is an unknown
How much power can my 2013 WRX handle? Mod list.

Hey guys, im new here and new to subaru's. I purchased a 2013 WRX in full last saturday and i am currently in break-in mode. I am planning to build this car to about 500whp. I have asked around, but I cannot seem to get a straight answer. How much power can my tranny amd block take before major work needs to be done? Money is of no issue here, I will be buying a bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, CAI, and a bigger exhaust shortly, maybe some bigger injectors and a catch can for shits. I want to get the block built but not sure how much I can push it before upgrading. Also i want to build the 5 speed and get stronger gears for it. Any suggestions? Brand names to look at?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Plan on going rotated turbo setup or find a tuner with a delusional high reading dyno. Plan on going race gas for 500whp and not reaching that on pump. Unless you want to run E85 and constantly make adjustments to the tune for each fill up or go with a deluded E85 tune that will work on a majority of E85. Because E85 isn't regulated and every fill up is a different mix. Never quite the same octane each time.

Have lots of money for future breakages and a second car. This car won't be daily driver friendly and most likely not street legal for all intensive purposes after you reach 500whp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LW_Black4 likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Fuel alone including lines, injectors and pump is a must!
Good suspension and breaking as well, already your spending a few grand.... Continue

The turbo will need to have crap tons of lag it's so big. Your exhaust will need full replacement for a few grand. Mounts will need replaced., just about anything under the hood will be new.

Tires need replaced too, your gonna need good wide rubber.

I can't hardly think of it all, but you will need a few pro tunes along the way ranging from around $550-850.

Good luck

...............CHEERS!!!

Now somebody chime in about trannys and gears!!..... And diffs!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#4 Old 09-17-2013, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I hope you have a substantial budget. 500 whp is going to be $25-30k or more in parts alone. Nor will it have any semblance of reliability. You bought the wrong car if this was your goal.
turmic likes this.
#5 Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You could ask VT Sports Car to build you a 500 whp car for the street and prepare to bend over...their 600hp GRC cars are $300,000-500,000 or you could ask Crawford Performance for a near Ken Block car and surrender your car for about 3-6 months to get it back as a gymkhana track car. It's not easy or reliable at that point unless you have the R&D to figure out the small stuff that constantly goes bad.

Edit: They throw away a engine probably every race or two. Btw, the GRC cars are 2.0 liter beasts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
Not to be "that guy" but you may want to give this a quick read,
Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC
I'm not trying to say don't go for 500whp, you would have a beast of a car. I guess I'm saying be careful, I've never driven anything anywhere near that kind of power and I have no idea if you have. I want more power out of my car, and that article really opened my eyes as to what happens with that much power. If you really want 500whp and money is no object, once its done please put up some photos of your car I can only imagine how beautiful it will be
#7 Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-WRX13 View Post
Hey guys, im new here and new to subaru's. I purchased a 2013 WRX in full last saturday and i am currently in break-in mode. I am planning to build this car to about 500whp. I have asked around, but I cannot seem to get a straight answer. How much power can my tranny amd block take before major work needs to be done? Money is of no issue here, I will be buying a bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, CAI, and a bigger exhaust shortly, maybe some bigger injectors and a catch can for shits. I want to get the block built but not sure how much I can push it before upgrading. Also i want to build the 5 speed and get stronger gears for it. Any suggestions? Brand names to look at?

Thanks!
What you should have done was buy an Sti. Your tranny I would not push past 400 torque. That being said, that's approx 340ish whp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
the RIOT act likes this.
#8 Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

I personally think you went about this kinda backwards. Sti should have been the car you bought just for the tranny. I'm by no means knocking the WRX but the tyranny in it isn't rated for anything close to what you're looking for. If money's no object, then look into an Sti tranny swap. That alone will cost you a lot!

arewmors likes this.
#9 Old 09-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
This thread is confusing
Money is no object, sti all the way hands down. Much better starting point for sure. I agree with neversummer.
the RIOT act likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#10 Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSummer View Post
What you should have done was buy an Sti. Your tranny I would not push past 400 torque. That being said, that's approx 340ish whp.

What he should have done is buy a Mustang. Cheaper to make 500 whp and more reliable while doing it.

Subarus are good, fun cars, but awful choices if you have high ambitions when it comes to making one fast.
BLAZE2099 and LW_Black4 like this.
#11 Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Or if money is no object a gtr, FOL. then you're good right out of the box.
Haw1es likes this.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#12 Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Nah, if your that loaded than buy an STi EsX

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#13 Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
Nah, if your that loaded than buy an STi EsX
What's that all about? I've never heard of that before.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#14 Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Look it up, I didn't hear about them till about an hour ago. I don't know a whole lot about them except they have a high power output like the OP wants.

I didn't believe my coworker about them till I saw it for myself.
I really do t think they're Subaru made, but I could be wrong.
I'll be reading tonight for sure.

They come with racing stripes too....Fart Out Loud

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#15 Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
Look it up, I didn't hear about them till about an hour ago. I don't know a whole lot about them except they have a high power output like the OP wants.

I didn't believe my coworker about them till I saw it for myself.
I really do t think they're Subaru made, but I could be wrong.
I'll be reading tonight for sure.

They come with racing stripes too....Fart Out Loud
Prob the Japan ones that won't ever make it to the USA