how bad is the stock tranny? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-30-2006, 03:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

blue04wrx is an unknown
how bad is the stock tranny?

I know our transmission is about as renowned as our exhaust system, but how likely is it to failure? I'll soon be changing to Cobb stage 2 which will hopefully grant some decent power gains from stock. But will this make me more likely to blow my transmission? I never launch my car from over 3k but we all know the bang you get from open throttle from the 1st to 2nd shift. What i'm asking is, will that hard 1st to 2nd shift be more likely to blow the tranny with the increase in HP? Sorry if i reiterated myself a couple times, newb here Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJohn69 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue04wrx
I know our transmission is about as renowned as our exhaust system, but how likely is it to failure? I'll soon be changing to Cobb stage 2 which will hopefully grant some decent power gains from stock. But will this make me more likely to blow my transmission? I never launch my car from over 3k but we all know the bang you get from open throttle from the 1st to 2nd shift. What i'm asking is, will that hard 1st to 2nd shift be more likely to blow the tranny with the increase in HP? Sorry if i reiterated myself a couple times, newb here Thanks
With the increase in horsepower theres going to be more stress on the tranny when launching and it already blows on people who drag their stock rex's so... although it never stops people from moding their cars and launching hard
#3 Old 08-30-2006, 12:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Driving habits are going to dictate the longevity of your tranny. I've seen stg4 WRX's that were still on the stocker. Cosmo's old WRX was one of them. The tranny didn't go on that car until he sold it to someone that took it to the strip and well, you can figure out the rest.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#4 Old 09-01-2006, 08:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
Here is some reading http://www.spdusa.com/5-speed_options.htm
I run the Cobb stage2 with a tune and have not had tranny problems. But it is all in your driving style as stated above. I have seen Elements WRX car with the 500HP motor run the stock tranny for 2 years, I have also seen stock 02 blow there trannys at the track.
#5 Old 09-04-2006, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
It is as simple as.... if you beat on it, it will beat on your wallet. The STI should came as is, but the wrx should come with an RA gearset , I would pay the extra money for it, if it was an option

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#6 Old 09-04-2006, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

LilSix is an unknown
The RA gearset is no better. People bust those just like the stocker. The only trans that can handle the abuse is the STi trans.
#7 Old 09-04-2006, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Or a ppg gearset for about half the price...
I hate the stock wrx tranny. Bad gear ratios, tough shifts, from the factory grinding. And it cannot hold stock power. Its the biggest pos in my book. Skimping to save $$ went overboard. Sometimes I wonder (when I cannot shift into 1st until I am stopped) if they ever drove the car before they sold it.
#8 Old 09-05-2006, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

DesiSuperman is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy15u
Skimping to save $$ went overboard. Sometimes I wonder (when I cannot shift into 1st until I am stopped) if they ever drove the car before they sold it.
soo true, first is awful. Especially when you have other people in the car with you, and just give you that akward stare like does he know how to drive.
#9 Old 09-28-2006, 01:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
yea 1st is stupid specially in freeway traffic when your still going like 3 mph and you cant go to first and traffic starts going and you have to rev it to like 4 or 5 k to not bog or kill it.
my stock trannie broke on the stock engine but that was because i was the 2nd owner and it had 72k miles on it. and the dealership rebuilt it for me for free cuase of warentee but it locks up now kind of annoying
#10 Old 09-28-2006, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d2TSi
Driving habits are going to dictate the longevity of your tranny. I've seen stg4 WRX's that were still on the stocker. Cosmo's old WRX was one of them. The tranny didn't go on that car until he sold it to someone that took it to the strip and well, you can figure out the rest.
Have to keep in mind also that said person made a bad judgement call in put in an ACT clutch when the stock clutch went out :eek: Trannie held up great until then.

If we ever find him, lets take him out back and get patriotic on him (we lay stripes, he sees stars)
#11 Old 09-28-2006, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Hahahaha Dak. I think that he's learned his lesson, we'll spare him the lashings.

This time.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#12 Old 09-28-2006, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d2TSi
Hahahaha Dak. I think that he's learned his lesson, we'll spare him the lashings.

This time.

Yeah, unfortunately, it was a $3,000 lesson, BUT, I do love the new gear ratios, 3rd is much much more usable in the hills where I live. Have about 70 miles on the new clutch/trannie, it's sooo much better than that ACT clutch.
#13 Old 09-28-2006, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
The 03-05 tranny is good, the 06 is not well matched up to the motor, which sucks. I have heard a few instances like mine of 3rd gear popping at 3/4 throttle in the 06, so there is some sort of problem Subaru is not tending to, but all cases I have heard have happened on lightly modified cars.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
#14 Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

subarukid is an unknown
Stock..

I blew mine after I got a boost controller installed...
#15 Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
^^ And the next thing you will blow will be your motor, you are a glutton for punishment.