Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain & Tranny (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   Horrible bind and whining noise... (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f69/horrible-bind-whining-noise-31844/)

ranchrex86 01-03-2012 10:31 PM

Horrible bind and whining noise...

Hey guys so my new 2011 wrx with the five speed started to act up today. Today on my drive home from work while pulling out of the parking lot I got this weird low whining noise, and I thought nothing of it because it was 11 out and it is a given sometimes for the car to make weird noises when it is very cold out. So about 3 miles into my commute home when I was about to get onto the highway, the car pretty much stopped dead, and I got this horrible mechanical whining noise. At first I thought I hit something in the road, and I pulled over. I could not see anything in the road, so I got back on the road and started to drive home. The whole way home, this noise would come and go, but the car did not almost stop dead again. So right before I got to my street, I punched on it and went through the gears, and got up to 65, and the car started to do it very badly making the noise even worse through all the gears and even while coasting in neutral. The car only has 3,900 miles on it and i find it hard to believe that I am already having transfer case-tranny issues. I also thought that the 09's and up wrx's with the 5mt did not have these issues like the 08 under had. I am going out of town tomorrow, and I am going to contact the dealer to bring it in when I get back, but I was wondering if any of you guys would have any idea on what this could be. Also recently I put on a set of 16in wheels with snow tires and could doing this put extra stress on the drive train, I wouldn't think so as a bunch of other people on here do the same thing, and I never saw anyone post up any problems like mine. I also know how to drive standards very well, and I am never rough on the car while shifting. If I knew this was going to happen so quickly I would have stayed away from this brand, and just brought another jeep wrangler, as I never had any problems with jeeps. Well thank God for warranty's, as I have a 60k 6year warranty.:notgood::hurl:

ranchrex86 01-04-2012 09:43 AM

Dropped it off at the dealer just now we will have to see what they say

pzr2874 01-04-2012 01:00 PM

That's such a purdy car....

Do the new ones have LSD's ?

Nothing to do with the rims/tires UNLESS they are way off-sized (which someone on here a while back noticed a DT put 1 incorrect tire on the car and didn't notice it for a while). Nothing ever came of THAT issue though.

Good luck and post back.

brfatal 01-04-2012 02:53 PM

Because no automaker has ever installed a defective part. Ever.

This is what warranties are for. In fact, it's the reason they exist.

ranchrex86 01-04-2012 05:48 PM

True statement sorry I came off a bit negative at first. I do in fact love this car and I know they will fix it. Like you said good thing there is warrenty's and it also might be something else other than the tranny we will find out soon. I will post up the news once I hear back from them, they have the car for a week since I dropped it off on the way to the airport since I am on vacation.

turmic 01-04-2012 06:07 PM

[quote=pzr2874;273946]
Do the new ones have LSD's ?
[/quote]

Nope, the 3rd gens got stripped of the rear LSDs because they have VDC and Traction Control now. The center diff is also a mechanically locked to 50/50 front to back power bias. Big fail to replace something manually with a electronic feature. STIs have the best of both worlds and still get a DCCD. :D

pzr2874 01-05-2012 07:02 AM

That's right, my buddy was looking for an older LSD because of the split.

ranchrex86 01-05-2012 01:45 PM

So the dealership calls today saying that they test drove the car and it is in fact something in the transmission. But then he goes on saying that he has never seen this on this car at this low of mileage theme pretty much saying that of they decide it was caused by me or my driving style they won't cover the repairs. Well let me say this of they decide to go down this road they will not see the end of me and I ought to refer him to my friend who has a wrx that went through 3 5mt's and the other people on here who had the same thing happen. None what a bunch of haughty a holes and if this ends up going bad I will never buy another car from them let alone a Subaru.

pzr2874 01-05-2012 03:06 PM

The dealer can't deny the warranty work like that. Don't worry, especially if you haven't done any modding to the shifter/bushings/fluid/etc....

BoostinChick 01-05-2012 03:52 PM

^ x2 agree.

FWIW, the internals of the transmission is only covered under the 30k warranty. If this dealership ends up trying to foot you with a rebuild bill, I would take it to SoA for sure.

ranchrex86 01-05-2012 06:41 PM

Yup no short throw shifter installed totally stock also ordered up a short throw I might end up sending it back because if something like this happens again they have something to void the warranty. Also I am quite away's from 30k and if I knew they would act this way with the extended warranty I would have not got it when I brought the car. None the less I really hate the attitude these dealers have just low life scum. The service manager that called me was a total a hole who would not let me get one word in by talking over me everytime I tried to say something only if I knew I would have never got this car. I think it will end up good in the end but this whole thing kind of gives me a bad feeling and makes me want to do no performance mods to the car, I think a performance tune is out now and even exhaust. Well I will keep u all posted on what happens next.

iEdify 01-05-2012 09:41 PM

I'm thinking that you would blow the clutch before you killed the transmission if it was your shifting the did her in... Anything that major that breaks in the first 5000 miles, should be covered no questions. You might want to research New York's Lemon Law, it covers cars with less than 18,000 miles. Please keep us posted.

pzr2874 01-06-2012 06:53 AM

FWIW, the 11-12 ECU's are a bit different than the previous years. MY service guy told me there wasn't a way for them to see if the car was flashed and by what (unlike the previous years) <-- But take that with a grain of salt.

Also, if it's a Subaru approved part (spt, sti...etc...) they can't/won't void you out for tranny issues in the future (that portion).

Tell the service manager if he's going to have a tude you will plaster his name and dealership all over the interwebz.... Normally, they will back off.

Keep your head up.

ranchrex86 01-06-2012 01:39 PM

Will do thanks man and the thing that cracks me up after I signed the final paper when I brought the car the salesman said what is the first mod you are going to do and he even gave me a Subaru performance catalog.

pzr2874 01-06-2012 01:49 PM

Just buy their parts if you are actually worried about warranty issues.

I did notice how thick that book is now compared to previous years. They are selling a whole lot of STi parts....