HalfShaft locking clip replace - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-10-2008, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

looneymoogle is an unknown
HalfShaft locking clip replace

Does anyone know how to replace the clip inside the differential that holds the rear halfshafts in? My right rear halfshaft keeps popping out of the clip that holds it in and i can also pull it out with 1 hand after i get it to "click" into place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
does thid have the axle stub that pops into the diff? like that of a front diff? i would think the clip is supposed to fit on the shaft itself, and maybe its stuck on the diff side.

you will probaby just have to open up the rear diff to get to it. do you have a pic?
#3 Old 02-10-2008, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

According to the Manual the front axles are held in place by a spring pin. but the rear axles show a clip thats INSIDE the differential. you'll have to look at the differential without LSD to get a clear picture of it. its seated in-between the splines where the axle stub fits into. on the half-shaft itself the splines that go into the differential has a groove etched into it where normally a "snap-ring" type of ring would fit.
#4 Old 02-10-2008, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
so the way you describe this sounds like a spring clip that is seated in the diff carrier where the stub axle snaps in. could it be that the spring clip slipped off? or suppose the groove an the stub axle is worn?

sorry i havent had a rear diff apart, i have seen the front stub axles on 4wd automatics and the shaft on the outer end of the cv joint is held on by one of these spring clips as well

if the clip itself is worn i would imagine you would have to pop it out with a pick, and slip in a replacement.
#5 Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Anyone know how the clip is accessible? thru the half-shaft or do i pull off the diff cover?
#6 Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

For those whos interested in how the rear halfshafts sit inside the differential i took some pictures while fixing my halfshaft slipping back out problem. the last pic shows how the halfshaft is poking into the differential but after the test drive the piece right underneath the axle stub is actually shifted bout 45 degrees towards the stub so that the groove is riding along the slant of the stub.
Attached Images