Subaru WRX Forum banner

God dammit 5 speed

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Danny Contreras 
#1 ·
Hey its Danny here. So on tuesday I was driving around and noticed my grab/bite point of my clutch getting lower and lower. I quickly knew it was gonna be a long week ahead. Anyways, it got to the point where the clutch felt spongy or like nothing was grabbing on and gears wouldn't go in.... Checked the master cylinder and it seemed fine... Could it be the clutch? Help! I'm no mechanic :(.... :crying:

#2 ·
Mileage? Have you swapped brakes/fluid lately? Swapped the clutch? Could be a few things but we need more info. Slave cylinders go before a MC usually, and if you have a super HD clutch it will wear the system faster (internal seals). Try having a friend help you bleed the clutch system, that's the first step. It's a royal pain as the slave cyl is on top on the transmission.

Clutches don't usually go out like that, unless you launch the car like crap all the time and/or you just slip tf out of it.

#4 ·
Well if you bled the system properly and that didn't fix it you have about 3 options left. New MC, new SC, or a broken finger on the pressure plate. My 02 actually had 3-5 fingers fall off when I got stuck in 8" of loose sand and decided to quit all together after I was about a mile away driving on the road. NOTE, I had almost 200k on my MC/SC.

I'm guessing you're using the OEM clutch still? When it was working, did the RPMs rise in 5th but vehicle speed didn't go up like normal?

Have you been launching your car? lol

#5 ·
The slave and master cylinders are fine. Me and my dad where taking off the tranny and my clutch fork is broken.... we haven't completely removed it but we're about to. As for oem clutch I believe it's using some performance clutch cause it's really heavy. And no I haven't launched my car, I know how bad these 5 speeds are lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.