Fluid leaking from driver side axel after dropping tranny - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

athauser11 is an unknown
Fluid leaking from driver side axel after dropping tranny

Only leaks a couple drops but still it's making me mad. Tried searching to see if there is a oil seal or something but not having luck. Any ideas? It's a 2008 wrx with 49 thousand miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
where the axle slides into the tranny, if so there should be a round seal there that has a spring in it(all that I have replaced on other cars had that anyway)
dont know for sure on our cars but all my old ones had them and it was a cause for concern if damaged. So all you have to do to fix it is pull the axle and pop the ring seal out and replace it with one from your auto parts store, ones I have bought only cost a few bucks and were easy to install.
When installing they must go in straight, it helps to place a socket against it of the same size and give it light taps with a mallet, and it should slip right in. Also I used some of my gear oil as a lube to allow it to go in easier........hope its that easy for you.

........GL..........CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
it could be a lot of places where the leak is coming from. i also had the same problem. leaking around the axle seal. so i went ahead and replaced that on both sides along with the drain plug/seal to the tranny. and it still was leaking. come to find out it was the input shaft seal in my case which involved taking out the tranny and splitting the case.the axles seals can be easy or a pia to replace. here is a link to the write up that i used to replace mine hope this helps
HOW TO: Front Axle Seal Replacement on a Stock 02-03 WRX - NASIOC
post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

athauser11 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex2002 View Post
it could be a lot of places where the leak is coming from. i also had the same problem. leaking around the axle seal. so i went ahead and replaced that on both sides along with the drain plug/seal to the tranny. and it still was leaking. come to find out it was the input shaft seal in my case which involved taking out the tranny and splitting the case.the axles seals can be easy or a pia to replace. here is a link to the write up that i used to replace mine hope this helps
HOW TO: Front Axle Seal Replacement on a Stock 02-03 WRX - NASIOC
Thanks for the replies, I read the write up, my axe
S don't have that locking pin . Anything else different?
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You sure you didn't overfill ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3