fidanza flywheel upgrade - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-15-2009, 05:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

southernwrx is an unknown
Exclamation fidanza flywheel upgrade

just installed a new fidanza flywheel and exedy clutch kit and the body of the pressure plate rubs part of the forks for the releasing bering. has anyone else had this issue and how did u fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Here is how to fix it. Take it off go buy an oem clutch. The oem clutch is pretty good. Aftermarket clutches are not good for our cars. Sorry if I sound like a di*k but it is the best thing you can do for your car.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Aftermarket clutches are not good for our cars.
Thats about 100% false.........
Some general info: Clutch & Flywheel FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying them! - NASIOC
OP did you use the factory repair manual for install?

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
perhaps dumdum what he was trying to reference was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber
What is the most transmission friendly clutch? The OEM organic clutch is by far the easiest on your transmission. This is due to the lighter clamp loads of the OEM pressure plate and the organic clutch material. Organic materials, which are bound by resins, will almost always loose friction when they get very hot. This is because the resin melts and becomes almost like a lubricant rather than a bonding agent. Any increase in clamp load or clutch material coefficient of friction will increase the shock load to your gears.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

southernwrx is an unknown
has anyone used a fidanza flywheel before/
#6 Old 03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
This just might be my opinion but

stronger clamping force = more shock load
more shock load on an already weak tranny = bad for our cars!

Southernwrx pm'd me and said it is an oem clutch

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 03-16-2009, 01:14 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
This just might be my opinion but

stronger clamping force = more shock load
more shock load on an already weak tranny = bad for our cars!

It's only bad if you launch the car by dropping the clutch(and even the oem clutch might not save you).If you know how to slip the clutch and use a sprung clutch what shockload is there?

Southernwrx pm'd me and said it is an oem clutch
Is it an OEM replacement or stage 1?

EXEDY Globalparts Corporation | High Performance and OEM Clutches and Flywheels

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#8 Old 05-23-2009, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXTACE is an unknown
ok the exedy organic stage 1 clutch kit is not stock but the closest damn thing that you can get to it!!!

its slightly better and supposedly by most shops and die hard tuners to be the best clutch made for our cars besides stock... also the fidanza flywheel is not something good for our cars... man honestly go to autozone or kragens and buy an oem flywheel... if your flywheel is lightened it is very possible for your car to throw a cel and unless you are goint to race or track your car the oem flywheel does the job...

however if you like the lightened flywheel and faster RPM climb then balls to the walls for you... and good luck with the info hunt!!!
#9 Old 05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
i have a lightweight flywheel, its a fidanza knock off and it works out fine. everyone here complains about them and says it slows them down, i however have noticed quicker throttle response and an overall improvement in the feel of the car.

i installed my clutch/flywheel combo myself in my garage... and it sounds like your having an issue seating the the throwout bearing... is the car drivable or is the clutch not functional at all. be more specific, but the only advice i can offer you right now is to make sure you feel the bearing "click" into place..some people do this before putting the tranny back on, others use the fork to do it. i found it easier to seat the bearing and then play with the shift fork until it goes in right.
#10 Old 11-12-2013, 05:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Msegars88 is an unknown
The Knock is the fork hitting the PP. Reason is because the Fidanza flywheel itself. If you did/able to compare it side by side to an OEM you will notice it has an extra lip making it taking up an extra 4mm deeper. To Solve the issue, when I was doing the install I trimmed up my fork only by about 1mm with a griding wheel. Hit it with rustolume and havent had a knock.

Excedy makes our OEM clutch.