Dumpin the clutch - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hoofenshnoz is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to hoofenshnoz
Dumpin the clutch

just wondering if it is safe to dump the clutch off the line on a 2003 wrx, comments?
thanx
Landon

-Landon-
Basketballs love ground meat because they can fly sexy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-26-2005, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dizzy810 is an unknown
No it is never safe to dump the clutch. Unless you like doing major overhauls on your car.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
/\ is a little extreme

its bad for your clutch obviously, and the drive line, but a better observation is that its an extremly inificent way of launching your car. a stock WRX dosent have enough HP to launch efecticly off the line witha clutch dump even at 7K rpm.

the fastest way to launch yer car off the line is to slip the hell out of it.

usualy, ill release the clutch about 50-55%, which is usualy about the first 1/3rd of the friction point on the clutch, instantly, and quickly but smoothly slip it the rest of the way out

if i feel the need to launch ill usualy do it at a lower RPM then most, 3,500 or 4000. some people do it from the 4,000 to 5,000 range. but this is my daily driver, so i like to be nice too it.

once you break the 300whp barier you will have removed all bog-down that will occure with a clutch drop.

i have seen many posts about how burly the stock clutch is, and im sure you will see some crop up in this post shortly. regardless of how good the clutch is, its not good for the clutch or the rest of the drive line to drop the clutch (think about the mechanical aspect of it for a second).
i prefer to exploit the design pros of the wrx, which is its handling and stability on and off road. not its 1/4 mile times.