Double Clutch Transmission - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Iljagou is an unknown
Double Clutch Transmission

Hello All:

Does anyone know whether Subaru plans to implement a double clutch transmission on their WRX/WRX STi models in nearest future?

Personally, I hope they will, as it seams to be a great technology. As I understand, Mitsubish will install DCT on the new EVO, which will probably give it a significant edge over WRX. It seems that Subaru will have to offer DCT sometimes soon, in order to be able to compete with Mitsubishi.

I was currious if the car with regular single clutch transmission has any advantages over DCT that you guys aware of?

Coments and thought will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Import2Race View Post
automatic will rule
i will ALWAYS drive a manual but i do believe that in the near future automatic cars will come out on top in a race (track only) simply because there is almost no delay changing gears in an auto and if if take a good driver in a standard car 4/10 of a second longer to change gears well....
like that new gti has that Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) that thing is CRAZY!
if you had two gti's that were exactly the same but one was a manual and one had that new DSG in it there is no way the manual would win! unless you can clutch in, shift, clutch out in 2/10th of a second....
#3 Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Iljagou is an unknown
That DSG gear box you are talking about, that uses double clutch technoloy right?
#4 Old 09-11-2007, 07:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Iljagou is an unknown
OK, for those of you who might be interested, I did some research, and found this interesting article, which talks about Audi TT line-up.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...nter_317.shtml

Some of Audi TT cars feature double-clutch transmission (they call it DSG direct shift gearbox). Somewhere in the middle of the article it talks about what appears to be a disadvantage of this transmission. Namely, it is possible that double-clutch transmission can not handle high torque engines very well. The thing I am still not sure about is whether that is a flaw of all DCT transmissions in general, or is it the flaw of just that particular transmission, which is implemented on Audi TT.

I would believe designing DCT transmission, which can handle high torque should not be an issue though, and hopefully that what Subaru will do, but aggain, I am not sure whether Subaru is doing any R&D on double clutch transmissions.
#5 Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
i was just talking about the actual speed of the shift. im sure it cant handle torque very well thats no surprise