Subaru WRX Forum banner

cobb shifter noise

10K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Brockton 
#1 ·
i recently installed the short throw and bushings. noticed substantial amount of driveline noise throughout cabin now. its not noise that's like whoa something is wrong its noise like everything's amplified. i wanted to check to see if this is typical. it's especially noticeable in 4th and 5th gears.

thanks!

#4 ·
Stiffer bushings will talk more than softer bushings, If it bothers you you can get some sound Isolation goop like dyna-mat and apply it to the under-side of your center console and alongside of the trim up to the shift boot, all that plastic acts like a horn and amplifieds the noise coming from your transmission tunnel. If you want it quieter than that you can install a second shift boot under your OEM boot and add some recycled denim insulation between the two.

Most aftermarket shift kits will increase noise from the transmission to the cabin. I have tried a few things over the years but eventually like performance exhaust you just get used the sound that a performance car makes.

#6 ·
Your stage 2 already, On a stage 2 with a nice DP you probably wont be dealing with too much new noise. Its really only noticeable with a quiet exhaust and a quiet interior.

If you want your interior quiet and your down for a bit of work on the interior adding some isolation material makes a huge difference in the feel of a car, It knocks out most of the harsh road noise and makes cars feel like they are more well built. Funny side note, we once pulled the carpets and sound isolation material out of a 01 M3 to do a custom amp and sub-woofer install and driving around without carpet it sounded like hell. The heavy foam BMW uses to line the vehicle makes a huge difference in making it sound like a "luxury" car

#7 ·
very interesting. i also should add that it depends on the road material as well...im finding new asphalt is almost as good as concrete, but old asphalt allows the noises to be transmitted more. on the fence on whether or not the shifter is worth the noise, however. im going to leave it for now, might switch back if it's still bothering me after a few weeks.

#10 ·
I love the cobb short throw and shifter bushings. I have to drive other sti's and wrx's for work and mine is so much crisper and cleaner shift pattern than the stock one. noise is increased but the gains are much greater than the losses. I will say i do not like the adjustable factor in the cobb. Stupid lil bolts strip out, so i drilled a hole right through the shifter and put in a set screw!

#12 ·
- Your spot on about the factory bushings, I've got a set from Cobb its just not worth the trouble getting under the trans at the moment. its like 95 degrees at 6 in the afternoon and I really don't want to melt myself working on the car, Maybe in October when it cools down : )

#14 ·
Really cold weather makes it worse too. This past winter it sounded like I was running a dog box.

That was the first time my car had ever seen temps around 0 degrees. It lived its live around el paso texas. Needless to say it did not like it. Power steering, I guess because it was getting so thick, would almost feel slushy in the wheel. Had some cold start issues in the mornings, mainly from stock battery, got a Optima Red Top and that seemed to help a lot. Still took a tad bit longer to crank.

Barely got to enjoy this last winter due to summer tires and having to drop my steering rack for two weeks while I waited on a replacement line to come out that I stripped. >.<

I vow that this next winter will be different!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.