clutch woes - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VMethos is an unknown
Unhappy clutch woes

I have been having horrible luck with my wrx recently.
About a month ago, I was beginning to experience clutch slip with my car, which had about 58000 miles at the time. (I bought the car at 42k miles nearly a year ago)

I ordered the OEM Exedy clutch kit from gripforce and purchased a lighter Exedy flywheel as well (the 13 or 14 pound one). Had my mechanic install them and within 100 miles after the install a bearing on the output shaft seized up rendering my car immobile. The mechanic replaced the bearing and a new clutch DISC free of labor charges. (the pressure plate and flywheel were reused, not replaced)

It's now been about 600 miles since then and I'm already experiencing clutch slip... this time, possibly due to pressure plate failure? I'm not sure what else it could be, but I do know that after the messed up bearing, he (mechanic) reused the pressure plate and flywheel while replacing the clutch disc.

Can anyone think of other possible problems that might be causing this that I should check? Within that time span, I didn't launch the car at all and rarely got into boost above 5 psi. Could the clutch master cylinder and hydraulic stuff be an issue? (I don't believe so, but am unsure) There appears to be the proper amount of fluid in the reservoir for it.

Have other people here had experience with the $200 OEM clutch kits from gripforce? I was under the impression that they were, in fact, the same as the stock clutch kit, but for some reason a fair bit cheaper than buying through subaru?
The $193 one at the top of this page: http://www.gripforce.com/clutch.asp
Description here: http://www.gripforce.com/detailDescr...,%20500,%20500

I'm planning on just replacing the WHOLE clutch kit AGAIN, although it angers me to do so this many times within the span of a little more than a month. That is unless anyone knows why I should NOT do this.

Please give me suggestions and advice, or even just say that you think I might be right about the pressure plate. If I could afford swapping in a PPG gearset and upgrading to a racing clutch, I would so do it... but unfortunately I can't right now, so I want this clutch to last me at least a year or two (15k - 30k miles). Is this unreasonable?

Thanks for any help, comments, suggestions, or even just reading all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
You are running the exact combo I ran in my wrx.

I had 0 problems with the gripforce kit.

They are the exact same part number so general knowledge would suggest they are the exact same thing but you never know.

FWIW I went for about 82k miles on my original stock clutch. It all depends on how you drive it.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #3 of 33 Old 10-22-2007, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VMethos is an unknown
Thanks. I figured that the kit should be fine.

I have another OEM Exedy clutch kit on the way and will hopefully be installing it this weekend.
post #4 of 33 Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

darthsofearu is an unknown
i would say that the mechanic didnt allign all of it correctly. the other plate and flywheel u had installed should still be good. my friend and i installed my stage 2 clutch and flywheel and everything is fine. i would stay and check over every little thing the mechanic does because that really sounds like bad clutch allignment. either that or he just didnt install it right. good luck and let us know
post #5 of 33 Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VMethos is an unknown
This time around, I'm going to install the clutch with a friend. His father happens to own a garage with a lift and all the necessary tools, so it may take us a chunk of time, but at least I know that we're going to scrutinize everything and take enough care to get the job done right.

I've got the entire service manual on cd and have looked over the necessary parts enough to have become quite familiar with the process. The only thing that's really concerning me is getting the clutch aligned properly.

Anyone have any tips or pointers or just want to clarify how challenging aligning a clutch is?

Thanks.
post #6 of 33 Old 10-26-2007, 04:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

arm0313 is an unknown
Antone know how much a subie dealership would charge to replace a clutch?
post #7 of 33 Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Slinkynose is an unknown
$628 at Subaru of Plano, TX
post #8 of 33 Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkynose View Post
$628 at Subaru of Plano, TX

!Cry! approx $1500 at Subaru of Thousand Oaks, CA...it's probably even more now.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #9 of 33 Old 10-27-2007, 09:54 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
we would charge around a 1000 at the shop I work at, I just changed my clutch today and it only cost me 300 for the clutch and 40 to resurface my flywheel

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #10 of 33 Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

canudropit2 is an unknown
My stock clutch last me until i hit just over 90k mi. Then i put in an Exedy stage 1 organic clutch and it's now slipping after 7 months and about 10k mi. I'm very disappointed to say the least with my Exedy. Maybe i'll try ACT this time. Even my mechanic who is subaru certified that put it in doesn't understand it. My driving style hasnt changed and i got 90k mi. out of the stocker?!
post #11 of 33 Old 10-29-2007, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VMethos is an unknown
Update:
I put in the new OEM Clutch Kit with my friend this past weekend. Took us about 10 hours, 2.5 of which was pulling the tranny off and putting it back on. (First time either of us had done this, but we did have access to air tools, a lift, and a transmission jack)

150 miles so far with no problems and no smell of burning clutch or anything.

Aligning the clutch disc was actually quite simple with the plastic alignment tool provided in the kit. The last clutch disc was pretty much torn to shreds down to the metal within 600 miles, so something had to have been installed wrong, or else the pressure plate wasn't providing much force and the disc was in a near constant state of slipping. I don't know how it went wrong, but it was a mess.
post #12 of 33 Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
damn 10 hours with air tools and a lift.
I also used an oem clutch and pressure plate, it only took me 3 hours to do.!Laugh!
Did every thing look like it was installed right? I would take the clutch back to your "mechanic" and see if he will reinburse you for the labor that he charged you.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #13 of 33 Old 10-29-2007, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

VMethos is an unknown
Well, we were double and triple checking just about everything we did, because I didn't want to run into any more problems. 10 hours is from start to finish, including lunch and a few short breaks, but I'm sure we'd be able to do it in about 4 or 5 hours if we had to do it again (which I hope is completely unnecessary!). We did everything that the service manual said to do, which probably is more than is really needed (removed intercooler, starter, clutch slave cylinder, exhaust, drive shaft, shifter stay and linkage, front wheels, front axles, electrical connections, and finally transmission off completely to the floor... installed in reverse). We did have a bit of trouble getting the axles on and off and we also forgot something that required removing the intercooler after we had put it back on and then re-installing it again. So, it definitely could be done quicker, but for a first time through, I'd expect running into a couple of spots that slow down the process.

The Pressure plate and clutch disc that we removed appeared to have been installed properly. It seems that the splines on the removed pressure plate were somewhat weak, so I have a feeling that after the first install where the bearing had seized up the tranny/drive shaft, some damage was done to the pressure plate, as well as that first clutch disc. When the mechanic replaced the clutch disc the second time along with the new bearing he didn't charge me any labor, so I don't really think he's at fault for anything other than not having me replace the entire clutch kit after the failed bearing had seized up the tranny/drive shaft. So, I don't really feel right demanding anything more from him. I'm not very good at asking for that kind of stuff.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-28-2007, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

steelwire is an unknown
approx $1500 at Subaru of Thousand Oaks, CA...it's probably even more now.

stainless steel wire stainless steel strip motion detector
post #15 of 33 Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subistrong is an unknown
i got mondo clutch slip on my car looking 2 get a new one only have turbo back exhaust on my 06 wrx any suggestions