Clutch?? vacuum?? boost?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-16-2011, 06:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
Clutch?? vacuum?? boost??

ok so i know all the symptoms of a slipping clutch which i dont BELIEVE i have i can be full throttle low rpm no slip and same with mid and high rpm full throttle. I believe my clutch is fine because its showing none of the usual symptoms. At low rpms and low boost the car stops reving as soon as i let outta gas and press the clutch. You can hear the bov vent.. Same with full throttle hauling ass but for some reason mid throttle when i let off the gas theres a slight lag where it still revs up for a second and the car doesnt even catch the bov just kinda whipples and if i push the clutch in right after letting off it kinda revs just slightly maybe a few hundred rpm nothing drastic.. Would this be a typical atmospheric bov problem or a clutch issue.. Ive had the bov on there a good few months and its been fine so far so i dont know why it would just start which is why i feel possibly clutch?? or could it even be a vacuum issue/boost leak?? im not sure where to begin these cars are so damn picky.. lol thanks in advance! My first thought was bov to rich issue? but just figured ide consult the wrx world before i waste some time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
If its revving and not moving there is really only one link, unless you hear terrible tranny noise, which would be noticeable all the time. Most the time the clutch slips at max torque..around 3500 probably. It could be a master cylinder but typically you would feel a bit squishy on the pedal. The letting off of gas is confusing the issue a bit for me. But there is only one link between your engine revving and the car moving, unless of course your tranny is hosed, like I said this would be usually be noticeable at any torque range in certain gears.
#3 Old 12-17-2011, 01:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinterbower View Post
If its revving and not moving there is really only one link, unless you hear terrible tranny noise, which would be noticeable all the time. Most the time the clutch slips at max torque..around 3500 probably. It could be a master cylinder but typically you would feel a bit squishy on the pedal. The letting off of gas is confusing the issue a bit for me. But there is only one link between your engine revving and the car moving, unless of course your tranny is hosed, like I said this would be usually be noticeable at any torque range in certain gears.
Sorry i never specified the car drives lol the cars fine just doesnt seem to cut out as soon as i let out of the gas all the time is the simpilest way i can explain it... Im not sure what it is im getting a tune within the next week or so, so ill just wing it till then im personally thinking its something to rich or something with the bov... i just dont know why now it would start when ive had it on for a few months.. If it doesnt go away with the tune im gunna swap it back out for the stock and see whats up... I am only even running a atmospheric because i got it for free pretty much.. Just figured ide ask cus i was searching for at least an hour and couldnt find any similair complaints.
#4 Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
ooo so it keeps revving when you let out, sounds like a vacuum leak. This happens often if a bov has been installed, is closing late, and creates a giant vacuum leak. ...Just a theory, sounds like a vacuum leak on off throttle.
#5 Old 12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

yes im gunna swap it out this weekend. Your theory makes alot of sense actually. but also found a hose completly dried out and ripped it runs from the wastegate on the turbo to the pipes under the intercooler the metal ones..(not sure what there called). Its not ripped there but off that hose theres a T that runs under the little black cover right behind the air box. Sorry once again dont have any idea what its called or what it does.. Also does a vaccum leak creak a high pitched very faint whine at idle?? i thought it was just the turbo but is the turbo even spinning at an idle??
#6 Old 12-17-2011, 04:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yes, turbo is always spinning if your car is running. Any vacuum leak can cause weird idle and off throttle issues. The whining you are hearing could be a very loose bov, in which case if it's venting to atmosphere is a gigantic vacuum leak. Is it vent to atmosphere or recirc?
#7 Old 12-17-2011, 06:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs0806 View Post
yes im gunna swap it out this weekend. Your theory makes alot of sense actually. but also found a hose completly dried out and ripped it runs from the wastegate on the turbo to the pipes under the intercooler the metal ones..(not sure what there called). Its not ripped there but off that hose theres a T that runs under the little black cover right behind the air box. Sorry once again dont have any idea what its called or what it does.. Also does a vaccum leak creak a high pitched very faint whine at idle?? i thought it was just the turbo but is the turbo even spinning at an idle??
You mean these black lines?

http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_pro...stSystem_1.jpg

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 12-17-2011, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^^^If those lines are broken I wouldn't be driving it with much throttle at all. No wastegate.
#9 Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes the wire running from the t to the wastgate solenoid. Where can I buy new ones?? Can I just buy a roll and cut it myself??
#10 Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
As long as it's the same gauge, don't see why not.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The sound mishap in mid rpm shifts with your bov points to a bov leak to me, I blew my gasket on mine and it would only blow off properly on low or high rpms for some reason.
It's now blown again on my car and won't let me hit the boost I want when I want(which is kinda ok ### I really need a tune, lol)
Wouldn't hurt to pull the two bolts and take a peek,my two cents.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#12 Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
The sound mishap in mid rpm shifts with your bov points to a bov leak to me, I blew my gasket on mine and it would only blow off properly on low or high rpms for some reason.
It's now blown again on my car and won't let me hit the boost I want when I want(which is kinda ok ### I really need a tune, lol)
Wouldn't hurt to pull the two bolts and take a peek,my two cents.
Oh the gasket between the intercooler and bov? Never thought of that I went and swapped out all the turbo/vacuum lines and it's slightly better but still there. Guess bov is next place to atraxk
#13 Old 12-21-2011, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That's the one, let us know, whatever the result.

...................CHEERS!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew