Subaru WRX Forum banner

clutch mechanism squeak

7K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  jman91 
#1 ·
My 09 wrx has an obnoxious clutch squeak coming from the mechanism inside the car. About a year or 2 ago I had the recall done where they repair the firewall where it bolts up and until last month it had been fine. Ive tried 3 different types of grease and nothing has worked. Are there bushings that wear out that would cause that? Or am I going to have to have the firewall repaired again? Thanks

#6 ·
Well, that sounds great! I was planning on replacing all the bushings (which involves removing the steering column and potentially the dash to remove the clutch pedal) when I installed the brace but if the brace is a simple job I'll try that first and see what happens. Thanks a lot hopefully that solves it.

#7 ·
No need to do any of that. Most work is taking out your top mount intercooler, undoing a couple bolts and nuts, put the brace up and inserting the bolts an nuts. Maybe an hours worth of work (should be 20 mins). Never worry about the welds again.

#9 ·
So Ive been in contact with Subaru of America and they are going to pay for most of the repair. It's scheduled for the 5th. Ive also ordered the clutch brace and I will install it before my appointment so that everything will be done after the 5th. Hopefully this will be the last of my clutch pedal problems.

#11 ·
I can hear mine with the radio up pretty loud it drives me nuts, and since theres so much movement my clutch grabs erratically at times. The brace I ordered is out of stock for over a month I asked if they could update me when they get more. Luckily Subaru is paying for most of the repair which makes it cheaper for them to do it instead of me having to do it.

#12 ·
Yeah that sounds more like metal flex than the bushings. I wouldn't drive the car if your engagement points change, that will cause your clutch to excessively wear and may not be covered under any warranty. Call the dealer and tell them that and request to have them replace your clutch due to the firewall flex causing a malfunction in the hydraulic system under the recall.

#13 ·
I did the clutch about 12000 miles ago after the firewall had been fixed. This new issue started in march and I've barely been driving it since I figured out what it was (I only really drive it on the weekends anyway). Subaru is paying for 3/4 of the repair which is nice because I'm broke lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.