Clutch Issuse - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

06wrx06 is an unknown
Clutch Issuse

Hey people.. I have a 2006 WRX, stage 2 cobb, and am having a little trouble with the clutch slipping.. I plan to order one but want to get a little advice from you guys first.... I want to atleast get the stage 2/3 for it.. Its a daily driver so I dont need one that is only for the track that might go out on me within a few years... Any advice will be appreciated.. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2010, 11:27 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
If you have the stock transmission, get a stock clutch. Its cheaper and easier to replace clutches as it is to a gearset. I ran my 20G on the stock clutch with issues. I upgraded to a stage 3 clutch because Im also rebuilding my tranny with stronger gears tho.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 05-22-2010, 11:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

06wrx06 is an unknown
I never really looked into transmission work done, I know it sounds bad, so I was thinking getting some form of after market brand.. I dont need a stage 3 or anything like that.. What about a stage 1...
#4 Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ok, so this applys for 5 MT gear sets. Not STI 6 MTs. Stock Gears ='s Stock Clutch. Unless you want to risk the grippier clutch to break a gear or a synchro. It has, can, and will happen eventually with a upgraded clutch on stock gears.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 05-23-2010, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

06wrx06 is an unknown
Yeah I was up all night last night reading about the "grip". I thought about it and I'm thinking about either getting the gearbox and everything else to go with it so I have no troubles with anything. Or just seeing how much its going to be to get an STI tranny and go with that.. I would like the six speed..
#6 Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Cost will depend on which year 6spd you get, and what else you would have done along with that work. If you have a shrt shifter, you would have to buy a new one, clutch/flywheel, possible that you would need the basically the whole rear end (hubs, diff, driveshaft) when doing this. Google it, its been done plenty of times and the info is out there for it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Or just read this: Transmission FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading!

And this section applys to 02-07s that are thinking of swapping in a STI 6 speed.

What's involved with swapping from a 5MT to a 6MT? You will need to obtain and install the following components:
1. A complete 6MT transmission.
2. 6MT transmission mount.
3. 6MT shift knob, 6MT shifter linkage, and 6MT shift boot.
4. The drive shaft from a 6MT or the drive shaft from any model automatic transmission equipped Subaru. The stock WRX 5MT drive shaft may also be modified (will need to be shortened) to fit as well.
5. New rear end options:
a. New ring and pinion gears to upgrade the stock WRX R160 rear differential to 3.90.
b. Convert the 6MT center differential from 1.0:1 to 1.1:1 and use the stock WRX R160 rear differential.
c. Swap out the stock WRX R160 rear differential to a stock STi R180 rear differential.
The real decision to a 6MT swap is the rear differential, as going with the R180, though the "better" choice, raises the costs significantly as you need to use the entire rear end consisting of the STi driveshaft, STi rear half shafts, Sti rear hubs, and STi rear discs to include the Brembo brakes. This will also require the use of 17" wheels as well to accomidate the bigger brakes, which for some, may be an additional expense. As well, www.gearboxtech.com sells the parts that let you use R180 inner CV joints and the R160 outer CV joints if you want to use the R180 rear end and not swap over to the R180 hubs/brakes.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

06wrx06 is an unknown
Yeah.. Thats alot to swap..lol.. There is an STI that was wrecked around here and I might try to find it.. If not I'll just stick to the first choice.... I dont have the money to do all that right now..Ah well... So now I am stuck on the clutch decision.. I know I cant get one that has much more grip but I dont know if the stage one is too much.. If so then is there any other one out there that is ok besides the OEM because if I am aready replacing the OEM one will it just go right back out again...I found a few and one said it had only 32% more grip than the OEM one.. I'm going to call each one and ask some questions.... Then I have to get a flywheel or get the one I have resurfaced, and I also hear that a lightweight flywheel throws a CEL for a misfire... Ah well I am just glad that everyone has been around to help with the questions.. Thanks again
#9 Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Like others have said, it is a better idea to stick with the stock clutch. Although, I previously had an 02 wrx("glass tranny") and when I bought it, it had 36000 miles on it. Clutch went out within a few thousand miles after buying it so I put in a pro ACT clutch kit(grabs hard) and also was running cobb stage 2 on it. I sold that car with 102000 miles on it with no clutch or transmission problems! With that being said, you will have to be very CAREFUL if you go with an upgraded clutch, you will basically be able to break it at will.(NO LAUNCHES) If you can be careful and shift properly than an upgraded clutch will last longer than stock. If I could do it all over again I probably would have went with stock just so I wouldn't worry as much. Sorry for the late reply, you probably already made your decision?

Sold- 02 stage 2 rex
Hello- 05 stage 2 STi
#10 Old 10-13-2010, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

speed3050 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramericaa View Post
Like others have said, it is a better idea to stick with the stock clutch. Although, I previously had an 02 wrx("glass tranny") and when I bought it, it had 36000 miles on it. Clutch went out within a few thousand miles after buying it so I put in a pro ACT clutch kit(grabs hard) and also was running cobb stage 2 on it. I sold that car with 102000 miles on it with no clutch or transmission problems! With that being said, you will have to be very CAREFUL if you go with an upgraded clutch, you will basically be able to break it at will.(NO LAUNCHES) If you can be careful and shift properly than an upgraded clutch will last longer than stock. If I could do it all over again I probably would have went with stock just so I wouldn't worry as much. Sorry for the late reply, you probably already made your decision?
Thanks for the tip!

WRX HID Kits