Clutch Fork pin?? help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

justinh595 is an unknown
Clutch Fork pin?? help

I'm new to subaru's but I've been around cars a bit. I bought my 02 wrx last december knowing i had a clutch job ahead sometime but i personally have never worked on one. I have everything stripped down to pull the trans but i'm not sure about the clutch fork wristpin. I have the plug pulled but can someone familiar with this give me some detailed info on that? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2007, 12:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Ok, i just got done pulling my trans out of my 03 lol, there is a alan head plug, its a 10mm plug, once you get that plug out you will need a M6x1 bolt like 2 inches long or so then thread that into the wrist pin, then pull out on it, once you have that pin out you are able to get the trans away from the block, this can be a big PITA trust me, i took alot of photos of this and my buddy is making a How To. on this, if you have any questions let me know
#3 Old 10-02-2007, 12:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
oh yea, make sure that when your putting it back together that there is a snap ring on the fly wheel/ pressure plate side of it, you can put the throw out bearing on the input shaft of the trans and put the wrist pin back in and threw the clutch fork and put the plug back in before you put the trans back up, now after you get the trans bolted all back up push the clutch fork towards the firewall and you should hear it click into place that means you DID IT!!!! just make sure you feel that click, other than that good luck
#4 Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

justinh595 is an unknown
question answered by a friend..thanks anyway guys
#5 Old 10-02-2007, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

justinh595 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
Ok, i just got done pulling my trans out of my 03 lol, there is a alan head plug, its a 10mm plug, once you get that plug out you will need a M6x1 bolt like 2 inches long or so then thread that into the wrist pin, then pull out on it, once you have that pin out you are able to get the trans away from the block, this can be a big PITA trust me, i took alot of photos of this and my buddy is making a How To. on this, if you have any questions let me know

thanks the pin pulled right out without any trouble.
#6 Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

No problem let me know how it all goes back together.
#7 Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

justinh595 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by VD5505 View Post
No problem let me know how it all goes back together.
Hey everything went pretty well, clutch grabs great and pedal feel is 10 times better. No more chattering away from stop signs or 3rd gear rpms flying up.... I replaced it with an exedy replacement by the way. Next time i'm sure i could do it in 1/2 the time. Took me about 14 hrs total taking my time and keeping things very organized. The only thing i need now is the exhaust donut that goes in the flange behind the 2nd cat, it basically fell apart while removing the exhaust
#8 Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well thats good that everything went well, yea i tore up a couple exhaust gaskets when i did it as well, after i got doing mine and i looked back on everything i did, i was like go i didnt have to take that off and so on lol, so i know i could do it faster than what i did it in as well lol
#9 Old 10-03-2007, 02:37 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
LOL, glad to see that it went back to gether good and that you are happy with the outcome.. VD5505 was correct in all his advice, who ever gave it to him must have known what they were talking about..

As for the 14 hours, it will be closer to 6 the next time.. It barely takes me any time at all now.. Once you get that block severed from the Trans the first time the next time is a lot easier and faster.. That was my biggest time killer..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#10 Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

ColoWRXer is more helpful than not
this is probably of no help, and definitely is not good advice , but....when i installed my muffler more than a year ago i tore up a gasket too....since i already had it taken apart and wanted to hear my new exhaust tone i just said oh well and put it back together without the gasket. so far there are no exhaust leaks (i've crawled down there when it's running and can't hear anything). maybe i just don't know there is a problem yet .

of course, if it was a gasket on the up pipe or down pipe i would never do that, but i risked it on the muffler and everything seems fine.

just a little reassurance...

peace.
#11 Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf View Post
LOL, glad to see that it went back to gether good and that you are happy with the outcome.. VD5505 was correct in all his advice, who ever gave it to him must have known what they were talking about..

As for the 14 hours, it will be closer to 6 the next time.. It barely takes me any time at all now.. Once you get that block severed from the Trans the first time the next time is a lot easier and faster.. That was my biggest time killer..
Well i had someone give me some really good advice, what i can i say lol, I'm sure sometime there will be a really nice "How To" on this someday lol
#12 Old 10-03-2007, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

justinh595 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWRXer View Post
this is probably of no help, and definitely is not good advice , but....when i installed my muffler more than a year ago i tore up a gasket too....since i already had it taken apart and wanted to hear my new exhaust tone i just said oh well and put it back together without the gasket. so far there are no exhaust leaks (i've crawled down there when it's running and can't hear anything). maybe i just don't know there is a problem yet .

of course, if it was a gasket on the up pipe or down pipe i would never do that, but i risked it on the muffler and everything seems fine.

just a little reassurance...

peace.
yeh i actually put it back together without it temporarily and it seems to be barely leaking if at all. I'm just gonna see how long it will go without a gasket because i'll be installing an electronic cutout soon and i'll just take care of it then.