Subaru WRX Forum banner

Clutch or driver?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Ok, so my buddy is probably getting an 05 legacy GT AUTO. He's getting better at stick driving but neither of us think it's a "must be stick" car like the wrx. (no he doesn't want a wrx cause he doesn't drive like a lunatic and it's really small in comparison). Anyway, he drove an automatic and liked it but I made fun of him for not even taking it past 4k rpm once during the test drive. The salesmen is a friend of mine so he let us take out the 5-speed version while he ran the numbers on the automatic.

So of course I wanted to see what the thing was made of. Really, it's got more hp than the wrx despite more weight so it feels ALMOST as peppy. It handles considerably "bigger" but the steering is similarly tight to the WRX (yay). I think the stock tires on the legacy are hideous as I was getting wheel spin in SECOND gear on a quick good shift. The clutch however was very soft, wide, and "easy". I don't think it's really meant to be a stick car.

So I of course tried launching it and I tried somewhat dropping the clutch at 4k rpm... something I do daily in the wrx, and the damn thing simply didn't enguage! Burnt the cluctch a bit beforeI realized it was revving up and we weren't going anywhere but I was just shocked! My buddy enjoyed the smell but the car wasn't really damaged much. New cars can smell anyway.

Your thoughts on the clutch? Is it just not built to be driven like the WRX? Did I simply botch something? Is it because it had 110 miles on it?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.