Subaru WRX Forum banner

Clutch Disengagement Problems

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
So I tried NASIOC and the forums seem dead over there, so hopefully you guys may have an answer...

Installed a south bend clutch stage 4 endurance (kevlar) with a clutchmaster flywheel the other day and I'm having problems with clutch disengagement. The clutch is perfect when in gear, grabs nice and drives fine, but it seems I'm missing just a tiny bit of travel where I can't get into gear when the car is stopped and I'm in neutral. Car shifts fine through all gears when the car is off. It can be a bit notchy between 1st and 2nd and randomly some of the other gears because of the disengagement problem, but nothing as bad as when stopped as it's almost impossible to get into gear. Reverse always grinds...anyhow you get the point, full disengagement problems.

Checked:

Pulled boot and checked proper function between the TOB/fork and pressure plate. Looks fine and it clearly is working because I can drive the car and shift. Synchros seem to be fine as downshifting is super smooth.

Hydraulic system. Re-bled slave and it has full range of travel. Fork travels almost enough to release the little tension spring attached to it.

Fork has a little bit of play in it (technically throw out bearing does, but that's just how all pull type clutches are as it pulls out a little bit then pulls on the fingers of the pressure plate).

I'm stumped. Have you guys upgraded your hydraulic systems for higher clamp load pressure plates? This one I believe is around 2700-2800 lbs. I have an ACT in here before and it was fine, so it's not like I went from OEM to super high PP.

Any ideas?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.