Clutch Bleed! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-20-2006, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
Clutch Bleed!

just got done putting in my new tranny and i cant get my clutch to work, when i was taking my tranny out i took the slave cylinder line off instead taking the whole slave cylinder and now i cant get any air in my clutch pedal after an hour of trying i gave up it gets hard just a lil and it wont anymore. Has anyone had this problem or any advice on how to get my clutch back. I just need some help on how to pump my clutch.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-21-2006, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
Anybody?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-21-2006, 06:48 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Wow man, that sucks..

First off, are you sure you have the throw out bearing on correctly and that the throw out fork have tension on it.. I put mine all back together a couple times only to push the peddle and it go to the floor and stay there or "Slowly" come back up because I didn't put that little snap ring in the Pressure plate so the throw out bearing would engage it properly..

If this is verified to be ok I must ask how are your bleeding it? so you have assistance? Are you making sure that the reservoir is staying full so you are not pumping more air into the lines? Are you trying a "Pressure Bleeder"? I am assuming that you are bleeding your system...

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #4 of 16 Old 07-21-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
Yea my throw out bearing wasn't in correctly so i had to get everything out pain in the ass, and after all that i found out that my slave cylinder is bad i guess it's because i had it out for 3 Weeks and it got dry so now i am withing for a new one and than i will see if everything goes ok. I made shure that everything you stated above is done.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-22-2006, 10:48 AM
WRXpert

Yea, I have put it back together with out putting that clip on the pressure plate at least 4 times so far.. I have done a LOT of transmission work.. Nothing worse for me then getting in to start it up and find out that the clutch peddle doesn't work..

post #6 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
Got my slave cylinder and nothing !!! I'm so mad right now it still looks like that my throwout bearing is not working properly it wont go into a gear. I get the clutch up a lil and start the car but i can't shift so my question is now when i take everything off what should i look for that isn't put together right or broken???
post #7 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 08:49 PM
WRXpert

... I feel your pain.. Before you tear into everything do this.. Open the hood, grab the throw out fork and see if you can move it.. If you can then the throw out bearing is NOT engaged properly.. If you can't or it's really hard to then the Throw out Bearing is locked into the clutch pressure plate..

How are you bleeding the Clutch? Are you making 100% sure you are keeping the reservoir full so no air enters the system while bleeding??

post #8 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
yes the fluid is always full and i can move the throw out bearing really easy i can feel it go in and out and i don't have to use any force to move it. I had a friend hold the throw out bearing while i start the car so i can see if it will go into a gear and i couldn't do it. so what's my next step i didn't know this can be such a pain. I guess after i get this all working next time if i have to take it out at least i will know bether.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
WRXpert

Ohh yea, you are in the same boat I was.. I know the frustration.. Heck I still forget here and there to do it right... The REX is a PULL type Clutch so holding the Release Fork will not help you at all, as you need to PULL the Clutch Cover springs towards the rear of the car to release the Clutch Disk..

(2) options..

- Grab the top of the Release Fork and push it to the rear of the car and see if you can get it to engage.. If it engages the Release Fork should not be movable as the Clutch Cover springs will be holding it in place.. ( I doubt this work if you can feel it slid in and out)

If not.....

- Pull the Trans back out.. ( I know PITA)
- place the Sap Ring on the prongs located on the motor side of the Clutch Cover..
- Place the Release Bearing on the Transmission input shaft, install Release Fork, Release Lever Shaft, and hex Plug to secure it (a little lube is not a bad idea, but keep if OFF the Clutch Disk and Cover)..
- Reassemble. The neck on the Release Bearin has that little groove that when it is slid into the Clutch Cover the snap ring grabs that groove which is what locks the two together..

post #10 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 PM
WRXpert

Just for clairification (if it helps).. The snap ring should be between Part (7) [Clutch Disk] and Part (6) [Clutch Cover]
Attached Images

post #11 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
Sounds like this weekend is going to be frustrating for me. I'll let you know how it works out for me. Lil Shoaf, Thanks for all the help
PS: Once the throw out bearing is engaged should it move very easy or do i need any force to get it in just curious because my moves very easy and another question, i found a spring off of somwhere when i took the IC off for the first time where does it conect to. Sorry for being such a newby here.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-31-2006, 10:02 PM
WRXpert

Once the Release Bearing engages the Clutch Cover it should take an large amount of force to move it, honestly I doubt you will be able to by hand when it's all together.. What you will be doing is pulling on all those springs that line the inner section of the Clutch Cover..

The Spring could be the one illustrated in the image I posted.. It goes on the release Fork and keeps it from rattling and such...

I wish you lived closer, I would help you out in person...

As for this weekend, just take your time.. You don't have to fully drop the trans, just slide it back far enough that you can work between it and the motor.. You might not even have to pull the Clutch Cover off the flywheel.. If you can get to that ring and place it on those little prongs, I think there is 5 or 6 of them, you are golden to reassemble.. Hey, look at it this way, at least now that you have had it apart recently it will not be seized together like mine was the first time I pulled it.. I suggest putting never seize on the dial pins and the matting surfaces so yours doesn't lock together on you either in case you want to pull it apart again in a few years...

post #13 of 16 Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ohhNOwrx is an unknown
I have finally put my transmission together and it works great. Thanks to Lil Shoaf who PM me how to put the throw out bearing in correctly. It put a big smile on my face when it was all done because it was in the garage over a month. Lil shoaf thumbs up. and thanks for all the help.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-04-2006, 03:59 PM
WRXpert

hey man, no problem.. Glad to her she in not a dust collector any more.. Which option did you end up choosing to put it back together?? DON'T blow it up now.. LOL, JK... Enjoy it man..

post #15 of 16 Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

VMethos is an unknown
Sorry to use such an old post, but I just replaced my clutch this weekend and had a concern about the spring (#9) in that above image. What does it do? How important is it? And should I park my car and not drive it until I get that part from Subaru?

After the clutch install this weekend, I was just rechecking all the documentation to make sure everything was good and I noticed that spring in the diagram. While taking off the clutch slave/operating cylinder, I am positive there was no spring in that place... so, therefore I didn't have a spring to put in that spot while reinstalling everything.

Any help / knowledge will be greatly appreciated.