change 5speed to auto - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-23-2007, 10:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
change 5speed to auto

Can anyone tell me what it would take to change the 5 speed on an 02 wrx wagon to an automatic?

I've already built the engine, and it is easily capable of 450whp with 91 octane. Right now it is de-tuned to 300whp/270 lbs of torque. Tuning was done on a very conservative Mustang dyno.

An operation on my ankle has left me with a forever stiff ankle and greatly reduced feeling in my foot. Since I am pulling the tranny anyway to build it, I thought maybe I could put in an auto that would take the horsepower and torque for about the same money??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2007, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

W0R2X is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to W0R2X
wow, i'm sorry to hear that. i can't really help you there about what it would take, i just want to say that i'm sorry to hear you are in that position. on the other hand, there are some siickkkk autos out there, one was featured in a magazine not that long ago. green one with front mounted turbo, je piston dude. runs like 9s or something. anyway, good luck man.

Get DiRTY! R.I.P Colin Mcrae
#3 Old 09-23-2007, 11:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Thanks. It was a wayward piece of shrapnel that over the years worked its way down into my ankle and eventually sawed a ligament in two. Which is probably more than you wanted to know.

I can still shift okay, but heel-and-toe is no longer possible. I built the car to drive in just about any climate or road condition. Right now it needs a tranny, and I thought maybe an auto. We took as much timing out as possible to keep the torque down, but it's still way over stock for an STi, and this is a stock 5speed. And it's got a Clutch Masters clutch. All of which means the tranny is living on borrowed time!
#4 Old 09-24-2007, 02:15 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Honestly it would be more cost effective to pick up a used EJ20 and drop it into your car, sell it, and purchase an Automatic then drop your setup into the Auto and sell the Autos stock power plant.. The conversion is considerate..

You will need:

Auto Trans (Built)
Stall Convertor / flywheel (differs from man flywheel)
Clutch pedel and linkage Slave Cyl
Shifter
Driveshaft (Auto is shorter)
Possibly new Wiring harness and cluster (not sure on this one)
And a lot of "little" things..

The parts aside, the conversion is hard to do. The easiest way to pull the dash as it's almost impossible to install the clutch working under neeth it..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#5 Old 09-25-2007, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Thanks. You are right. It would take a ton of parts, including a new wiring harness. Worse, it would take way more labor than I'm willing to put into it. And worst of all, it would be a different car when I was done.

Also, I don't want to strip this car of all its modifications. It's a great car, and it would hurt to watch everything that makes it a one-of-a-kind be peeled off, and restored to stock.

I've decided to build the 5speed. Put in 1-4 gears (from Australia). Then tune the engine to 450whp/400lbs of torque (which isn't even close to what the engine is capable of, but is about all that even a built transmission can handle). If it proves to be too much car for my foot and leg, I'll sell the car to someone who can appreciate it and who can drive it the way it is capable of being driven.

Don't know what I'd do for a car after that, though. For sure, I won't buy a new WRX or STi. Man, talk about cars that have no soul!!!
#6 Old 09-25-2007, 12:58 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Have you looked into PPGs? They can handle from what I have read about 800 WHP. So if getting a built tranny to handle your power, I would check into them.
#7 Old 09-25-2007, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
PPG's are great. But AndrewTech has a lock on the American market, and their prices are less than attractive. Don't get me wrong. From what I understand they are a good company, and for sure they know Subaru. I'm trying to find another place in Australia that makes similar parts. I know there is no way most Australians are going to pay the kind of prices that AndrewTech commands in the U.S.

As far as PPG's and horsepower is concerned, I seriously doubt that any helical-cut gears in an 02 5spd. will handle more than 450 whp. Especially if you plan to slip the clutch now and then. PPG parts are probably about as strong as it gets, but the gears in the 5spd. are restricted in size by the size of the transmission housing. Given the space, you can do only so much to strengthen the shaft and the gears. A Dog Box is a whole 'nother ball game. But if you've ever driven a Dog Box . . .

Also, one dyno's 800 whp is another dyno's 600 whp. I'm sticking with Kito in Seattle, which is probably the most conservative Mustang dyno in the U.S. Not only does Kito know his stuff, his main Dyno man, Dom, is The Man, when it comes to tunes. Just my opinion, of course, but the guy who does most of the building on my stuff is a near genius when it comes to anything mechanical (he's a master mechanic who has done many builds) and he also agrees about Kito and Dom and Mustang dynos.

If I didn't have a wagon, I'd be shopping around for an STi 6spd. But I have a Wagon, and I love the wagon (more head room, more front window, and enough room in the back to put in my mountain bike, all my gear, and a quartered bull elk (it's done it twice).
#8 Old 09-25-2007, 02:04 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thats interesting to hear. I have read that the PPG 5 spd is good. I will have to read and research some more. Thanks for that. Once I get home, Im hoping to get my protune done at Kito, Im stationed out of Ft. Lewis. Its about 45 minutes or so away. Thanks for that heads up.
#9 Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If you got the bucks, you could just buy an Auto from the same year and swap your motor over. It wouldn't be depressing if you had both cars sitting there. The engine just goes from one to the other

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 09-25-2007, 03:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
MOSC, my man. I've tried to send this message twice, and it just won't go. One more try:

There's a lot more to the swap than just what's in the engine compartment: suspension, brakes, exhaust, wheels, bushings, body parts, a spray-on bra (not cheap), sound, gauges, and so on.

But the big thing is that this car and me, we've been over some bad roads and on some seriously mean streets together, if you know what I mean. It would be like cannibalizing one of my own.

It's a good-looking car, one of the best looking street wagons that I've seen. But it's not show car, not even close. It's a driver's car, not afraid of a little road rash. Every once in a while, inexplicably, a car comes together in a way that makes it head and shoulders better than similar cars with the same parts. Don't know why. But there it is. And I'd really hate to mess with that.
#11 Old 09-25-2007, 04:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
sounds good m8... didn't mean to have you get rid of your baby.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

atxwrx is an unknown
Well put... There is a bond between a man and a car that you are not able to put into words. It seems like you have that bond. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. I would love to see some pics. keep us posted.
#13 Old 09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Don't know if I did this right. I'm new to this forum. Here's a try at some pics.
#14 Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Name:  IMG_3411.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3412.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  94.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3416.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  106.2 KB

Don't know if I did this right. I'm new to this forum. Here's a try at some pics.
#15 Old 09-25-2007, 05:27 PM

Thats a nice looking wagon you got there. Good luck with everything.