Broken Pressure Plate, Clutch, or throw out bearing?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

wrxownesevo is an unknown
Broken Pressure Plate, Clutch, or throw out bearing??

I have an 02 wrx turbo, i was turning onto a street and of course its raining so i was having fun. i was at a complete stop and turned right and floored the throttle. i never hit rev limiter I was just spinnin wheels for a sec. When i went to shift into second it wouldnt budge. i came to a complete stop and found out it wouldnt go into first or second unless i pushed or pulled as hard as i could. third fourth and fifth are hard to get into but not as difficult as first and second. second gear makes a horrible clicking noise. I havent looked under the car at all it just happend last night. im just going by what i feel that it could be the pressure plate, clutch, throwout bearing, or the fly. im doubting its the tranny but its a possibility... Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-17-2007, 03:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

az_wrx_26 is an unknown
I think your broke a touth. I had almost the same issue when my shifter stuck then a little while later i started hearing a clicking noise which was the tooth rolling around in the tranny. Well i hope you saved up some money.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I dont think its a touth becuase its a repetitive clicking sound. Its two clicks and the clicks make the sound one after another. the faster i go to faster the clicking gets. its sounds like a baseball card on a bike hitting two of the same spokes everytime the wheel goes around, if you get what i mean. plus the clicking is really loud in second gear the rest you can barely hear it. you can hear the clicking when the motor is idleing but when i push the clutch in, the clicking stops...
post #4 of 5 Old 12-17-2007, 11:12 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
Time to pull the trans... Its hard to say what it is exactaly. By the way you described it , if it was clutch, pressure plate , or thow out bearing it would constanly make a noise. If its louder in 2nd then any other gerar, its a broken gear.
Drain your trans oil and see if there are any metal chunks in there.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #5 of 5 Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I got the car to my dads shop yesterday, put it on the lift, started it and let it idle. the noise is deffinatley from inside the tranny. I am sending it to a friend of mine who works on trannys and letting him take it out and apart and see what the damage is...more than likely a broken gear.. good call I will have updates about what is going on in a couple days.