Brand new 5 speed having trouble getting in first gear. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

subydude101 is an unknown
Brand new 5 speed having trouble getting in first gear.

I put a new 5 speed tanny in my 02 wrx and it's feels like something is stoping it form going in gear. But if u let the car roll forward alitlle it goes right into gear. Has anyone else had this problem I have had a couple buddies tell me that subaru has been having promblems with the new tranny not wanting to go in first gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
mine has that problem going into reverse, but as far as it going into first I have no problems there.
Is your fluid level good? i put redline shockproof in my trans and it seemed to help with getting it into reverse

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #3 of 5 Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

IH8PVMNT is an unknown
sounds like it might be a synchronizer drop the drain plug and check for small
metal grindings or fileings..... prior owner might have missed and grinded some gears wich would damage the synchros

um... didnt realize the part that saiid NEW so yea disgaurd....
post #4 of 5 Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
Pulled the 02 5-spd, yesterday, put in new gears today. The Redline had turned to a blue/green gritty paste on nearly all gears and had begun to plug up the oiling holes. We had the use of an industrial parts cleaner that heats to nearly 200 degrees but it still didn't get some of the crap off. Rags, brake clean, and elbow grease. I will never, ever, again use anything but a standard synthetic transmission fluid. Lucky for me, we cracked the case and were able to clean everything inside before there was any real drama. The only casualties were the two bearings on the final shaft. The races were pitted and scarred, and the needle bearings were discolored (the green sludge had plugged up their ability to oil).

On the plus side, I now have a stock 02 WRX 5-spd input shaft and 1-4 gears, including the H gear for sale. All are in excellent to very good condition.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
What Redline did you have in there? The MT-90?

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing