Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blown Tranny . . . Suggestions for new one???

4K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
Last night my 5spd went on my 02 wrx. I have just over 70,000 on her now. I have always babied the car, but was trying to be a show off in front of a friends mustang and dumped the clutch at about 5,500. All i have left is third gear, and i managed nurse her home.

Now that I know I'm going to be dumping alot of cash into a new tranny, can someone give me a few suggestions of a good route to go? I would really like to swap in a 6spd if it isn't alot more expensive in comparison to putting another 5spd in it. I have read alot of good things about the sti trannys. Money is still an important thing to consider. Where should I be looking to get a good price? Any info and/or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks alot guys

#6 ·
i really want to just do the full ppg gear bag but i just cant swing the price. The 1st and 2nd gear with the factory replacement 3,4,5 seems like a decent deal at 3k. Those ppg sets are bullet proof. Question though . . . .If i go with the straight cut gears and only do ppg 1st and 2nd, will i get the nice tranny buzz noise that the ppgs usually make only in 1st and 2nd, and then will it go away when i shift to 3rd?????????

#10 ·
I beleive the 3/4/5 gears, although replacements are still stonger than the factory ones. Anyway, I just can't do the 5k for the full setup. Its a bone stock wrx, but after this whole experience, I don't care if the car is 227hp or 800hp, its a piece of mind issue now.

How real is the possibilty that with a 1-2 straight cut syncro setup with replacement 3 and 4's that with a stock car I could possibly loose 3rd? With all honesty, I get on the car every once and while and launch it here and there, but for the most part, its my daily driver and it really isn't driven hard. Performance mods in the near future will be fairly mild as well. Let me know what you think.

#11 ·
it's not an extra $2000 for 3+4... where are you getting that? If you're already replacing 1+2, it would be very stupid to leave 3+4. It's just not that much more money. Call up Andrewtech, you're way off on your $2000 difference.

#12 ·
"For a 1-4 PPG Syncro transmission (straight or helical cut) the built price is $5221 with your core. This price includes the gears, labor, install parts and all new syncros.
For a 1-2 PPG Syncro with your OEM 3/4/5 transmission, the built price is $2991 for pre-03 transmissions, and $3091 for post-03 transmissions with your core. This price includes our gears, labor, and install parts. For all new syncros add $250 to the price."

I'm no math genious but that is $2000 difference. That is a direct quote from andrew. I called him today and its 2k difference for a full ppg setup vs a 2 gear setup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.