Blew my 07 trans tonight - Page 8 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#106 Old 09-04-2011, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah I wonder too - I guess I shouldn't complain so much. I randomly checked the tire pressure in my rental Honda for the first time and three were in the 20s and one only had 7 lbs of air in it. Turns out I had a screw in it, so I plugged that bad boy up. Now I need to buy some of the cheapest/crappiest oil I can find - it's about half a quart low. Bummer.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#107 Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Buy that off brand crap at a gas station...lol

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#108 Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Hey John, when you are without your car for 15 months, let me know man. Had the car for almost 5yrs (this december), spent 27 months in the desert of that time. But I feel your pain man. I hope you get it back really soon.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#109 Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Now I need to buy some of the cheapest/crappiest oil I can find - it's about half a quart low. Bummer.
Now a days no such thing exists anymore...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#110 Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Actually, I just remembered, I have a half full bucket of used Royal Purple 5W-30 in the garage waiting to be recycled... I could probably just top it off with that :: devilish grin ::

Joshua, at this rate, I might beat your record! I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I swear I had a dream about my car last night too. Waahhhh!!!!!

John
#111 Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Hey guys, not to derail this thread completely, but I recently blew up 2nd gear in my trans as well. With all the raving reviews online, I decided to go through AndrewTech. After a few e-mail exchanges with them, they recommended the PAR gear set for me. 1st gear is straight cut and 2-4 are helical. They also said that the PAR gear set has stronger parts? I am not so much questioning their recommendation, but I am not finding many recent reviews about PAR. I read a few reviews from the 2004 time frame that said the gear set was awful, was hoping they re-designed?
#112 Old 09-10-2011, 05:31 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
PAR was highly recommended to me when I was looking into gears, it just didnt work out for me to go with them. Hence why I went with PPGs. I dont know about them being stronger than PPGs, even tho I heard the same thing myself from several people.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#113 Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Having zero first-hand knowledge and based solely on the bits of information I gathered from the internet, I initially wanted PPG straight cut 1-2, helical 3-4, and stock 5th gears. However, if it weren't for a good friend of mine referring me to IAG Performance for some fender work a few months ago and had I not had such an awesome experience there, I probably would have had my car towed to AndrewTech instead. The transmission builder at IAG told me that he has personally seen a number of broken PPG gears and he pretty much refused to sell me a set, so I was left with three choices: LGT gears (which are slightly stronger than stock WRX gears and the least expensive option), Albins gears (middle price range, good quality/strength), or a 6 speed swap (most expensive choice). I'm sure there are probably some other reasons why IAG deals with Albins and not PPG (maybe they have a contract?), but that's where my car is now and that's what I chose to go with. Both PPG and Albins are ISO 9001 certified companies and both have a pretty good reputation, so I'm convinced they're fairly similar in terms of strength and quality.

BoostinChick, I feel your pain. Keep us updated about your repair and your experience with AndrewTech

John
#114 Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thanks for the honest feedback, gents. I received not so great news yesterday that AndrewTech will not be able to see me this week for my rebuild. It's not due to parts, they are just slammed. Sigh, another week without the Rex. I have my fingers crossed for next week, the PAR gear set is ordered and on the way from Aussie land.
#115 Old 09-14-2011, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Man I guess I should be thankful I managed to not blow up my trans......yet. lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#116 Old 09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I find it funny that the Aussie's are the ones making all these gear upgrades.... PPGS, PAR, and Albins are all made from the land down under. They even make DBA rotors... (hint..its in the name that the aussies make them too)

BoostinChick: Update us when its fixed...you just might want to make another thread if yours comes back before John's (man show's) He might have to cry in the corner if yours is done first.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#117 Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ Talkin smack and yours is taking 6 months too... hahahaha

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#118 Old 09-15-2011, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

...and what broken trans thread would be complete without some pics of the carnage?

More here: IAG Performance / 2007 WRX Transmission J. Kimmel

I have a strong feeling the car might be back on the road in the next week or two... keeping my fingers crossed!
Attached Images

John
#119 Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Smurf blood!
#120 Old 09-15-2011, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I have a strong feeling the car might be back on the road in the next week or two... keeping my fingers crossed!
Cool deal. I wish you the best and keep in mind I have a spare motor for sale...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...