Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blew my 07 trans tonight

43K views 208 replies 11 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
Tonight, as I was cruising through an on-ramp in 3rd gear accelerating semi-aggressively, I heard the most horrible grinding noise just before I shifted up to 4th gear (kind of like when any manual transmission grinds a little when you shift sloppily without pushing the clutch all the way in, but way worse). I immediately slowed down and tried to shift back into 3rd gear, but had no luck, so I pulled over right away. I'm pretty sure I fried 3rd and possibly did some other damage because now the car won't go in to any gear and it won't roll - even in neutral. I had the car towed to IAG, so I'm thinking I might need a fresh set of gears and possibly some other goodies. I haven't done nearly enough gear research and my wallet is not going to be happy... definitely not ready for this one yet !Cry!

Initial thought = PPG helical 1-4, not sure what else. Gotta do some reading for sure.

#149 ·
Just hold off on installing the 3 port bcs until you know IAG can protune it. Idk, if I would even install it...until it can be protuned for. Its seriously going to mess your WDC (Wastegate Duty Cycles) up, unless you want to use the AccessTuner Race and zero out your WDCs to limp it into IAG.

#154 ·
Please tell me how you think a stage 2 map has zero'd out WDC across the rpm range. Not trying to be a ass...I would have to figure anything other than a limp map would have more than zeros across the rpm range. Just saying because you start having wastegate duty cycles as soon as you start building boost.

#156 ·
And even a stock map will have more than a 0 WGDC once it crosses 3k rpm. Even partial throttle can get you over 0% WGDC. That all I'm saying...if you cross that line and you don't reduce the WGDC. You will start having boost spikes...if he can't tune it himself then just zero out the WGDC across the rpm range. Generally just reducing it 20-40% is a good place to start...but it would need dialed in. Which I don't think John is going to self tune it with his AP....even though he could.

So, my statement means either zero out the whole rpm range or don't even put it on. At least zeroing out the whole rpm range will not risk anything until he gets it professionally tuned.

#157 ·
And to that point, if he has the knowledge to know how to zero it out across the RPM's and where to look, he may as well dial it in himself. Best and safest method would be to install it once he sets up the date with IAG so they can tune it. But, if he can't wait, he can install it beforehand just no pedal smashing (which I doubt will be happening anyway considering he will be breaking in a new gear set).

#163 ·
I heard the same from the guys at AndrewTech. But they explained it more of there is grease/foreign substance from the build and from the factory on the gears. So, you put in whatever 75w90 for the first couple hundred miles to get if off, then drain it and put in the good stuff.

Kind of off the subject a bit, but for the WGDC zeroing it out would be more effective, since once you install the 3 port you also must adjust turbo dynamics and burst. Just adjusting the WGDC while not changing those maps will create fluctuation of boost and that's not a good thing. Or you could just drive it nice and steady until you get it tuned.
;)

#161 ·
Kind of off the subject a bit, but for the WGDC zeroing it out would be more effective, since once you install the 3 port you also must adjust turbo dynamics and burst. Just adjusting the WGDC while not changing those maps will create fluctuation of boost and that's not a good thing. Or you could just drive it nice and steady until you get it tuned.

#169 ·
Nope, but I got some potentially good news the other day: the gears were scheduled to arrive in US customs on November 1st. I was told it could take anywhere from a day up to a week or more for them to make it through customs, but as soon as they arrive at IAG, they'll get rolling with the install.

#173 ·
Keith: You'd better sleep with one eye open tonight!!! ;)

Kirt: I hope so too. I work in retail so I see an absurd amount of obnoxious customers every day, so I really try not to be that way if I can help it. I'm sort of anxious to see if they're going to do anything extra for me.

In other news: the odometer in my rental 1990 Honda Accord just rolled over 350k the other day.

#176 ·
Haha, it was the cheapest I could find on short notice - Triangle Motors in Frederick. I thought about buying a beater vehicle, but it's nice to know that I don't have to worry about any repairs or maintenance.

I also figured out why my gears are taking so long to arrive !Laugh!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.