Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blew my 07 trans tonight

43K views 208 replies 11 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
Tonight, as I was cruising through an on-ramp in 3rd gear accelerating semi-aggressively, I heard the most horrible grinding noise just before I shifted up to 4th gear (kind of like when any manual transmission grinds a little when you shift sloppily without pushing the clutch all the way in, but way worse). I immediately slowed down and tried to shift back into 3rd gear, but had no luck, so I pulled over right away. I'm pretty sure I fried 3rd and possibly did some other damage because now the car won't go in to any gear and it won't roll - even in neutral. I had the car towed to IAG, so I'm thinking I might need a fresh set of gears and possibly some other goodies. I haven't done nearly enough gear research and my wallet is not going to be happy... definitely not ready for this one yet !Cry!

Initial thought = PPG helical 1-4, not sure what else. Gotta do some reading for sure.

#126 ·
First of all, welcome back!

Second, I broke my transmission. Wiped out 3rd and 4th gears on Memorial Day, coasted safely to a stop on the side of the road. Car was towed to IAG Performance in Westminster, MD. Currently waiting on a set of stock ratio Albins helical 1-5 gears. Stock clutch was fine. I've been pestering them every other week or so for updates. Supposedly the ball is rolling. It's been rolling for just shy of 4 months. I've been paying out of pocket for a craptacular baby blue 1990 Honda Accord 5 speed with just shy of 350k on the clock.

I just inquired about upgrading the transmission mount and transmission crossmember bushings today and received an auto-generated email saying the person I tried to contact is out until the end of next week. I'm also still on the fence about whether or not to upgrade the front diff.

Now you're all caught up :)

#128 ·
John to be honest there are days I wish I wouldnt have upgraded the mounts. The ride can be pretty harsh depending on how you are driving. In my car when driving relatively easy the car shakes and vibrates pretty hard (probably due to the clutch and flywheel also). And under pretty hard driving it can be kind of harsh also. Its not always easy to find the happy medium with my car now it seems.

#129 ·
I upgraded the trans and cross member/gearbox bushing mounts, but am leaving the motor mounts and pitch stop mount alone. I wanted to try and find a happy medium as well. Not into lots of NVH especially considering I DD mine and the upgraded gears will be noisy enough. If I end up getting mine on the road before you I will let you know how it turns out for me.

#130 ·
Hmm, that's definitely something to think about. I just figured it would be one of those "while you're there" type mods. If everything's already apart, it makes sense to do it now if I'm going to do it at all. I've read mixed reviews about the trans mounts and bushings - some people love them and some people aren't quite so happy with them. The few parts that are currently on my car that have had similar mixed reviews, I've ended up really liking so odds are that I'll like these parts too. Worst case, I could always swap the stock parts back in and sell them and recover some of my money.

#132 ·
The PPGs are insanely loud. I have come to determine that not one single youtube video does it justice. Thats why I havent posted any of mine. The sound of the video sounds nothing like it does in person. I have a guy I work with, has a 650HP 08 Mustang Cobra and my gears are louder than his supercharger. He asked to take a ride in my car to see how fast it really was. He asked if my car was super charged, cause he thought it ran a turbo. I had to explain to him that I had my tranny rebuilt. So again just something to keep in mind...My intake charge, turbo spool, exhaust louder, gears whing, bpv going off, higher NVH from rear end, tranny and engine mounts. Alot going on lol.

#133 ·
I don't understand how people are blowing transmissions on a stg.2 car? I must be getting really lucky so far with mine...Not saying that you people can't drive, just noticing it more than usual I guess.

#141 ·
And you should ride around wearing a A-shirt that is stained and beat up. With a mouth piece that looks like your missing teeth. ROFL

Ok, back to OT. Any new pics or updates from IAG?

#144 ·
Yeah even you have to admit those are some strong hopes and dreams....:D

manshow Buck up little camper, have no worries, soon you will be with your car again and both of you will be happy.!Thumbs Up

#147 ·
Thanks ladies and gents! Absence definitely makes the <3 grow fonder, but where exactly is the line between passion and obsession? As Barry Meguiar would say, I'm certifiably CaR CrAzY!!! Oh, and my auto "to-do" list keeps growing:

- Interior/exterior detail

- Buy/install a new battery

- Check sway bars: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f13...nspection-notice-bsr33z-bsr33xz-bsr36z-31218/

- Get emissions inspected

- Install Walbro 255 lph fuel pump

- Change transmission fluid after break-in

- 90k maintenance

- Install Grimmspeed bcs and schedule a protune

- Swap summer wheels/tires for winter wheels/tires

- Swap carpeted floor mats for all-weather floor mats

- Install snowboard roof rack

- Research/plan for turbo/injector upgrade and another tune

...probably in that order !Laugh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.