Blew my 07 trans tonight - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic
Really? I've always heard that the EJs need a dry sump conversion to spin that high. What does the shim do?
I suppose you could run a dry sump, but again the need isn't really there unless you are racing at that rpm all the time. The shim increases oil pressure by putting more tension on the spring that works to keep the bypass valve in the pump closed. I probably could have gotten away with running a 10mm pump with a shim, but I didn't want to chance it.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I havent driven my car in the snow yet, but I have noticed a difference in the dry with my upgraded front diff. When I personally emailed Albins, they were doing "custom" ratios for no extra charge, but it does take longer to get them of course.

Paul, not to sound like an a$$, but I dont think its biased at all. I drove my 20G with almost 350 AWHP (on 92OCT) for a little over 18K miles, hard shifts occasionally, a few hard launches and had just started to crack 3rd gear. But also look at people who have destroyed "built" transmissions, it was something foolish that most of the time could have been prevented.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#48 Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ I auto-x'd for a yr and a half on that tranny and never dumped it. Soft launches, yes.... And never had a problem in 44K +/-. Wish I still had 1st and 2nd to show you all.

I still think that the dry ice added a shload of torque that did mine in.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#49 Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Ah the truth comes out. Paul dry ice probably did make your TMIC extra cold which in turn made the charge a lot colder. Which means more power.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#50 Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Let us know when IAG tells you what ratios you can get.
Will do. I'm supposedly waiting for Albins to email the info to IAG.

I did some more reading about the front differential - it seems as though the stock unit is designed to send power to the slipping wheel(s), resulting in a fairly significant power loss in low traction situations. Good summer/winter tires should help minimize slippage, so I think I'll probably be ok with the stock unit for a while. /End rational thought.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#51 Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Ah the truth comes out. Paul dry ice probably did make your TMIC extra cold which in turn made the charge a lot colder. Which means more power.
I told you that a long time ago when that schmuck posted about it on the forum...

I hide nothing from you guys...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#52 Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Paul: I must've forgot. You never did fully explain the boulder incident.

John: Think about what you posted though. If your front tires are on ice then the open diff will just keep sending power to the tire that spins the most. Thus not very helpful. Granted if you are on ice enough in a winter season you should be using studded tires (check local and state laws. A lot of places prohibit the use of studded tires). Also, the rear tires won't just sit there and spin either. But, it helps to have both ends working to get the car out of a bad situation and not just one end.

Kirt
#53 Old 06-30-2011, 05:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

No, the dry ice tore my gears in my WRX, I hit the boulder in my STi ..... They DO move. hahahahaa

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#54 Old 07-01-2011, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

So, it struck you and not the other way around? That is the part that I was confused on.

Kirt
#55 Old 07-05-2011, 05:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Exactly.

You got jokes I see.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#56 Old 07-10-2011, 08:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Update: a fresh set of stock ratio helical cut Albins gears have finally been ordered and are on their way from Austrailia (I was told the Albins rep was on vacation in Singapore and just returned) and I might have changed my mind about upgrading the front differential - anybody have any experience with or words of wisdom regarding a Cusco front diff?

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#57 Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Glad to hear your parts are ordered and on the way. If your progress slows up anymore, then I might actually get my car back about the same time you get yours. My parts were ordered last week. The machice work and piston coatings are what is slowing up my progress thus far.

Kirt
#58 Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cusco is great, and pricey. I run an Mfactory front, works great for what I need it to do.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#59 Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Cusco is great, and pricey. I run an Mfactory front, works great for what I need it to do.
Didn't someone say the Mfactory sucked???
Anywho glad to see things working out for you. It's always a hard thing to do to sit and look at your car and not being able to drive it.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#60 Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM

I know for a fact the Mfactory gears are worth next to nothing. I knew one other guy in WA running the Mfactory diff and he liked it also. Idk if he is still running it as I havent talked to him in ages. If it goes, guess I will have to upgrade again, lol.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"