Blew my 07 trans tonight - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Have any of you tried the MFactory gear sets yet? I know they are kind of pricey, but I know sooner or later my luck will run out and I will be needing a new gear set...Thak god I know how people to rebuild them or i'd be screwed....

By the way good luck to the both of you and if you need some help I'd be glad to lend a hand...no cash though...lol

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 06-27-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Broken gears, be it stock or PPGs is due to people not knowing how to drive them. I would have loved to have had Albins, but am just as happy with my PPGs. 4400 RPMs launches are pretty fun. I havent done alot of them, just to show off a time or two in the parking lot after work. I can tell you of my friend who is rather upset with the ratio of the 6spd he put in his bugeye. But he will eventually be converting to a track car only, and then he knows he will be happier with it then.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#33 Old 06-24-2011, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Broken gears, be it stock or PPGs is due to people not knowing how to drive them. I would have loved to have had Albins, but am just as happy with my PPGs. 4400 RPMs launches are pretty fun. I havent done alot of them, just to show off a time or two in the parking lot after work. I can tell you of my friend who is rather upset with the ratio of the 6spd he put in his bugeye. But he will eventually be converting to a track car only, and then he knows he will be happier with it then.
Well I have been raging on my trans for 8 years now and most of that with higher than stock power levels. I know I am close to the 400ft/lbs mark with this motor and turbo. So it is a matter of time not ability in my case. You are right though most people will break them due not shifting them correctly. I would not want a 6 speed in my car ever.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#34 Old 06-24-2011, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
The good news is that my car should be back up and running in 1-2 weeks at the most.

Pretty exciting
Boo!! I'll probably know my fate by mid to late next week and I hope to have my engine shipped back in 2 weeks. Like I said, I'll be up and running probably a week behind you. Then again, I broke down a week after you too. So, I'm glad you are getting it back before me.

P.S. The 6 spd seems like a disadvantage to most of you guys, but it can get you into boost so fast, and the ratio can/will keep you in the sweet spot for boost. You guys are just so used to the 5 spd that you hate to shift a extra gear.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#35 Old 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Boo!! I'll probably know my fate by mid to late next week and I hope to have my engine shipped back in 2 weeks. Like I said, I'll be up and running probably a week behind you. Then again, I broke down a week after you too. So, I'm glad you are getting it back before me.

P.S. The 6 spd seems like a disadvantage to most of you guys, but it can get you into boost so fast, and the ratio can/will keep you in the sweet spot for boost. You guys are just so used to the 5 spd that you hate to shift a extra gear.
To me it's not a disadvantage persay as it is that it's not required for my needs... I guess I really don't have anything against them, just don't want one I suppose. Besides I don't have a problem staying in boost...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#36 Old 06-25-2011, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well, it keeps you in the 3.5/4k to 6.5k spot perfectly with each shift. You guys with the EJ 2.0 hybrids can wind it out to 8k unlike most of us. @ keith. I'm hoping that I can afford head work that way I can stretch my rpms out to 8k.

Kirt
#37 Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Well, it keeps you in the 3.5/4k to 6.5k spot perfectly with each shift. You guys with the EJ 2.0 hybrids can wind it out to 8k unlike most of us. @ keith. I'm hoping that I can afford head work that way I can stretch my rpms out to 8k.
It's all a matter of what you really want out of the car I suppose. If I put work into the heads then I could shoot for 9k, but I don't really feel like pulling the motor and doing all that again...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#38 Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Also, don't forget the 6 speed adds some weight over the 5 speed - 70 lbs or so? That really shouldn't be the deciding factor between whether to get one or not, but it's something to think about.

Honestly, I think sloppy shifting was the cause of my 3rd and 4th gear breakage. I just gave it a bit too much gas before the clutch was fully engaged/disengaged and the tips of the teeth were shocked off which led to total destruction! The tech said my clutch was perfectly fine (after 84k miles) and he said he would absolutely not replace it. I took that as a compliment so I'd like to think I know how to drive for the most part. Sloppiness simply got the best of me

I think if I have a choice, I'll go with a sportier (shorter?) set of gears so I have more low-end power and less top-end. I'd ultimately like to upgrade to a 20g turbo (similar to Joshua's setup). The larger sized turbo will take care of my top-end, while the gears will take care of the low while boost is building. Am I thinking about this correctly?

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#39 Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
It's all a matter of what you really want out of the car I suppose. If I put work into the heads then I could shoot for 9k, but I don't really feel like pulling the motor and doing all that again...
You'd need to convert the car over to a dry sump oil system as well.

John, you want a rally-esc 5 spd? Short ratio 5 spd would probably rape the top end depending on the ratio. Can't get too aggressive. Plus, it would hurt your mpg some. I wish I could get a really long 6th gear installed to help with the highway cruising.

Kirt
#40 Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
You'd need to convert the car over to a dry sump oil system as well.
For what spinning to 9k? I have done that many times without issues, the turbo and heads just don't make power that far up so I pretty much dropped the redline on the car. I don't see a reason to rev that high when it isn't making power up there. The motor I run was build for high rpm usage...All this on a stock STi oil pump with a shim...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#41 Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The smart thing to do would be to get the best gears for highway cruising and just deal with the lag since I spend most of my time commuting to and from work. I can't believe I'm talking about a several thousand dollar turbo upgrade when I haven't even taken care of the bill for my trans. Either something is terribly wrong with me or it's good that I'm trying to plan for the future.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Albins offers a "street" ratio and a "sport" ratio 5 speed and they can also do custom ratios for no extra cost... but I'm waiting on IAG to receive an email from the company to see what's still available. I'll probably tell them my story and go with whatever they suggest.

John
#42 Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
For what spinning to 9k? I have done that many times without issues, the turbo and heads just don't make power that far up so I pretty much dropped the redline on the car. I don't see a reason to rev that high when it isn't making power up there. The motor I run was build for high rpm usage...All this on a stock STi oil pump with a shim...
Really? I've always heard that the EJs need a dry sump conversion to spin that high. What does the shim do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
The smart thing to do would be to get the best gears for highway cruising and just deal with the lag since I spend most of my time commuting to and from work. I can't believe I'm talking about a several thousand dollar turbo upgrade when I haven't even taken care of the bill for my trans. Either something is terribly wrong with me or it's good that I'm trying to plan for the future.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Albins offers a "street" ratio and a "sport" ratio 5 speed and they can also do custom ratios for no extra cost... but I'm waiting on IAG to receive an email from the company to see what's still available. I'll probably tell them my story and go with whatever they suggest.
There is not anything wrong with you. "You just have the need....the need for speed." was that a Days of Thunder quote or Top Gun? I forget...

Short is good for aggressive driving, but when you are daily driving it gets old. You want to cruise at a decent rpm. I seriously wish I could get a tall 5th and 6th or at least 6th. Eh, I'm not going to bitch to much though. Let us know what IAG says. Oh yeah are they going to keep the Front Diff OEM or tinker around with that at all? Just wondering.

Kirt
#43 Old 06-27-2011, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

About the front diff, I didn't mention anything to them and they didn't mention anything to me, so that will probably get left alone. I read up about differentials a little bit and I'm not too convinced I would benefit from an upgraded front/center/rear unit just yet. If I were to do the front, now would definitely be the time, but I don't think I'm at the power level where it would really benefit me. Also, the fact that so far I've only used my car only for daily driving doesn't help the cause. If I ever get in to any type of serious driving, I'll consider upgrading those parts. At this point, I just want to add a little more power, drive it spiritedly where conditions permit, cruise on the highway, and not have it break again. I don't forsee any serious track use with this car in the near future.

That quote was from Top Gun, btw

John
#44 Old 06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
^^This is a little biased don't you think ?

Those trannies are garbage, I blew mine and I can drive a stick (HA)

I say if a stock tranny breaks when never have done a launch and on a "stg2" tune, then it's junk.

My 2¢

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#45 Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sounds good John, I was just curious. I'm sure having a helical or something added would help in the winter time. But, thats about it if its not being used for much else than DD. Plus keeping it OEM will save on the costs some. It is in the same transfer case so, the time would be now if you wanted to.

Let us know when IAG tells you what ratios you can get.

Kirt