Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blew my 07 trans tonight

43K views 208 replies 11 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
Tonight, as I was cruising through an on-ramp in 3rd gear accelerating semi-aggressively, I heard the most horrible grinding noise just before I shifted up to 4th gear (kind of like when any manual transmission grinds a little when you shift sloppily without pushing the clutch all the way in, but way worse). I immediately slowed down and tried to shift back into 3rd gear, but had no luck, so I pulled over right away. I'm pretty sure I fried 3rd and possibly did some other damage because now the car won't go in to any gear and it won't roll - even in neutral. I had the car towed to IAG, so I'm thinking I might need a fresh set of gears and possibly some other goodies. I haven't done nearly enough gear research and my wallet is not going to be happy... definitely not ready for this one yet !Cry!

Initial thought = PPG helical 1-4, not sure what else. Gotta do some reading for sure.

#65 ·
Funny you should ask... I actually called IAG earlier today and found out the gears are still in transit. I keep being told it takes a long time for them to make it through customs, but they're expected to arrive some time next week. I'm still seriously debating whether or not it's worth it to upgrade the front diff - I can't seem to justify spending the extra money since I plan to keep the car on the street for the forseeable future, but you just never know ;)

#69 · (Edited)
I could see it being held up at customs. My stuff will be at the machine shop next week. So, we are still at a race to see whose car will get put back together first. :D

Believe it or not, even with a street driven car it can/will benefit from switching out the stock open front diff. But thats my opinion. I noticed a difference with mine almost the moment I started driving the car.

Oh and btw Albins was just in Modified or something, talking about different gear types. And of course they were in the mag. A shop Civic in WA runs them on their outlaw class car making 1100HP. So its VERY worth the wait John.
I don't have the experience that Josh does. But, I'd see it being useable on the street. Especially in the winter or bad weather.

1100 HP annnnnd .......... :tease: 300wtq

Sorry, had to
:shhh: The secret is out. ROFL

#66 ·
Believe it or not, even with a street driven car it can/will benefit from switching out the stock open front diff. But thats my opinion. I noticed a difference with mine almost the moment I started driving the car.

Oh and btw Albins was just in Modified or something, talking about different gear types. And of course they were in the mag. A shop Civic in WA runs them on their outlaw class car making 1100HP. So its VERY worth the wait John.

#70 ·
Hey Im not the biggest Honda fan, but the car runs around an 8.8 in the 1/4 mile consistently, so take it for what its worth.

But John if you dont see or feel the need to change out the diff, then dont do it, you will survive without it, but there can be a difference felt.

#75 ·
LOL @ that is what she said. True, if John is trying to work within a budget it. It may not be in the cards to spend that kind of money at this point. Its up to budget and do you want to do ever? If ever and you can squeeze it in the budget. You might as well do it now. Do it later if its not in the budget or don't do it at all. ;) Its all up to John and if he thinks he needs/wants it.

#77 ·
That is almost my down payment on my repairs. So, yeah....do make sure the oil drain plug and filter are on right from now on or suffer a more expensive repair than a trans upgrade. Btw, chad makes you put down near 50% down payments. Granted I'm getting more stuff upgraded or it wouldn't hellish amounts of money.

#78 ·
Usually they'd charge 10 hours of labor for a trans job, but since I went with the Albins gears, they graciously knocked off 4 of those hours.

If labor is $79.00/hr. (it is), I'm saving $316.00 and that's roughly 1/4 of the price of the front diff.

Do I need it? Absolutely not (but I didn't "need" the Albins gears either - stock gears probably would have worked just fine for a while)

Do I want it? Absolutely.

Can I afford it? Nope. Either way, this will be the first time in my life I'll carry a bit of a balance on my credit card and I plan on cutting back on all unnecessary spending so I can pay it off in a month or two. It's certainly not the smartest thing to do, but if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.

I'm also on the verge of possibly getting another (much better) job. If I had another week or so to decide, my decision would be so much easier. I have a feeling this is going to be one crazy gamble!

#79 ·
Even if your card lets you schedule a payment plan to pay it off. Then that is a credit building excercise. Like my Chase card will let me schedule a planned monthly payment option. That way I can pay it off over a couple of months and make them happy.

#80 ·
Do what I did and get 2 jobs...lol
Carrying a small balance on a CC is actually a good thing. If you pay off your card all the time it doesn't allow mature credit, and lenders look at that.

#84 ·
Le sigh... Almost 3 months later and IAG is still supposedly exchanging emails with Albins. No gears yet. Still waiting. I'm a pretty patient guy, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm debating whether or not I should scratch the Albins plan and pony up the extra money and go with a 6 speed swap or just kidnap my car and drop it off at Andrewtech for some PPGs. I'm tired of paying for my hooptie rental too :poorme:

#87 ·
Aw, you luck bum. When I finally get my car back, the first thing I'm going to do is break in the trans (500 easy miles), change the trans fluid (still not entirely sure which fluid I'm going to use - might stick with the Andrewtech cocktail, might go straight Redline Shockproof), install my Walbro 255 fuel pump, schedule a protune and have a Grimmspeed 3 port bcs installed and be happy with that for a while. After that, I'll be ready for something along the lines of a 20G turbo, injectors, and another protune... but I'll probably need some serious engine work before I can do that !Cry!

#89 ·
It's all in the tune my good man. Several people have run a 20g on a stock 2.0L and haven't had problems. I will recommend a set of 850's with a 20g though. Everything else is pretty much bolt on. Although I would do the basics before hand....

#88 ·
As long as you don't get over the 350 whp/tq range. You should be ok on the engine for a while. If all you are going to do is get a 20G. Then all you would need is new pistons anyways....that isn't a lot of money to do that. Sorta terrible if you are paying for labor. But, otherwise the parts can be had for pretty cheap.

I should mention I'm getting my engine back in that period of time. So, bearing that CBRD isn't tied up in other projects. The engine should be put in a day or two. Break the pistons in a little, then I'm getting a cusom CBRD FMIC installed with a new tune for the new turbo and all the head work. I'm hoping all this humidty breaks soon.

#90 ·
850s is overkill for the 20G...but, look at how much growth I've gotten out of mine. :D I still recommend them though. Like I said....a 20G can be held at bay enough to not require pistons. Its why a lot of people use it.

#91 ·
Run at a minimum 850s with the 20G, especially if you can get good gas and want room to grow (i.e built engine). With the right tune there will be no issues with them at all. As far as waiting for the gears, if you can John, try and hold out for the Albins, but if you cant, of course the PPGs will be great also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.