Blew my 07 trans tonight - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I still have yet to see one Honda "die" of what I would call "Natural Causes"

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Which is why I think they neglect the car to high hell to kill them. Never change the oil or i don't know what they are doing to the car. But, I see them broke down a lot.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#18 Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, I'm sure they're not terribly happy that I just dumped my broken car in the middle of their parking lot late on Memorial Day (they were closed) and called the next day and asked if they could fix it. It seemed like the best option at the time. Thankfully, one body shop guy was still in the building working on a widebody show car for the Ocean City car show and he was able to take my keys and information. He told me they were very busy, so I'm not expecting a miracle. Still waiting on further news...

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#19 Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Damn John, you should pay them another visit. I visited CBRD today and got an update. Which I'll throw a post up about later.

Kirt
#20 Old 06-22-2011, 12:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Update: I just got off the phone with IAG - their trans builder is just finishing up a car and mine's next in line. It should be torn apart and diagnosed later this afternoon. I'm extremely anxious to have the car fixed, but scared about how much it's gonna cost :eek:

John
#21 Old 06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Prepare your anoose..... Unexpected trans builds hurt.

-Chris
#22 Old 06-22-2011, 02:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I have some rope if you are out John

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#23 Old 06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Attached Images

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Which gear set did you decide to go with John? Albins or PPGs? If you have to take out a small loan and "build credit" paying it off. It sucks, but at least I had a small nest egg to afford my unexpected misfortune. I was expecting to do suspension mods and other goodies. Not tearing the motor apart again. I'm also hoping its mostly a bearing and maybe a crank issue. That should soften the blow if that is all I need fixed. Good Luck John and I know you must be missing it as bad as I am missing my car or worse.

Kirt
#25 Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
at minimum kirt you should expect to have to do bearings, and a new crank, (maybe rods too depending if it was a rod bearing or main bearing that went)

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#26 Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Do you think Pauter's 4340 Chrome-Moly Forged Rods would break? It was my understanding that Chrome-Moly is tough as sheet. !Notfunny!

Kirt
#27 Old 06-23-2011, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

it's not that the rod will break persay, its the fact that after the bearing fails the rods basically warp from the heat and friction of the particulates

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#28 Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Makes sense then. Hmm...I guess I'll find out sometime next week.

Kirt
#29 Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hahahaha I love the rope and lube comments!

Another update: Got a call from IAG last night... turns out I completely wiped out 3rd and 4th gear and there's some wear on 1, 2, and R (5th was ok). If that much damage occurred from the way I drove, I see no sense in simply rebuilding it to stock specs. Therefore, my choices are:

1. LGT trans for ~$1,500
2. Albins helical gears for ~$4,500
3. 6 speed swap for ~$5,500

Those quotes don't include miscellaneous parts or labor, which is estimated at 6-10 hours depending on the job, so I'm expecting to pay a little more than that when it's all said and done.

I've read about a bunch of people who ended up not liking the 6 speed swap due to the close ratio, so I think the Albins gears are the way to go since I don't want to have to do this again, should the LGT trans break... might as well bite the bullet and do it right the first time.

The trans builder at IAG refuses to work with PPG gears because he's seen too many of them break, so those are out of the question.

With the Albins gears, he recommended a break-in period of ~500 miles easy miles and then changing the trans fluid. I asked about the Andrewtech cocktail and he recommended straight Shockproof. I'm sad because I have a fresh batch of the Andrewtech cocktail sitting in my garage that I was going to put in at 90k... I think I'll probably still use it.

The next step is to figure out what ratio I want for the helical gears. I need to do a little reading and figure out what might be best since they have to special-order the gears from Austrailia. The good news is that my car should be back up and running in 1-2 weeks at the most.

Pretty exciting

John
#30 Old 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Albins gears.

Sell the cocktail.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3