Blew my 07' trans...maybe start a club? - Page 6 - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#76 Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
It can be done, just takes a minute to get there without using boost, lol. Not that I know or anything.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#77 Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Oh, I know. It was a bit of sarcasam for Sandra.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#78 Old 11-23-2011, 12:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Hehe, jerk! I am boosting the thing of course. Just trying to avoid situations where I need to slam the brakes.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#79 Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
An update for this thread: I do not recommend PAR!

After ~5,000 miles on my PAR gearset the input shaft broke (this is what I was told by AndrewTech). Very surprising considering I am only a Stage 2.

Before this event, I had a grind from 3rd to 4th gear. I was constantly e-mailing and calling AndrewTech in regards to my grind issue and was not given a resolution. It was recommended that I try 2-3 different gear oils and that was getting expensive. Then, my input shaft broke. PAR did replace it, but it did put me off the road for over a month. I am finally back on the road and still the same issue, the grind from 3rd to 4th.

Considering the money and resources spent for this rebuild I will not be recommending this gearset. The warranty is great and all, but it's very inconvenient being out of commission, then back on the road with the original issue remaining. Not only is it frustrating, but it speaks volumes to me about their level of customer service. If/when this breaks, I am doing a 6-spd swap.

- Sandra
#80 Old 06-19-2012, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Noooooooooo. So you're going to sell your tranny at that point?

Kinda reminds me why I left the platform..... Sorta

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#81 Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Not sure right now. I am going to take a drive down to Maryland and see what AndrewTech can do for me. I understand that trying to describe the issue, sound, etc. can be difficult to translate or resolve on the phone and/or e-mail. I would not sell it, even after a 3rd rebuild, I don't want bad juju.

- Sandra
#82 Old 06-19-2012, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That would make me blow a gasket. And not on my car. Good luck

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#83 Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Trust me, gasket already blown. AndrewTech is only the liaison, and I am trying to be as mature about the situation as possible while still being firm. I put it to them that I just spent $4-5k for a transmission that grinds and that is unacceptable. At this point, my only real choice is to go down there and have them take a look at the vehicle as a whole. It's just inconvenient for me as I have to take time off work and make the 4-hour drive one way after the car being out of commission for over a month when the input shaft broke.

- Sandra
#84 Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Damn Sandra....and here I thought PAR upgraded and fixed the problems of the past. It does not appear that way anymore. On them. I can understand your frustration is through the roof and this point. Sadly, its not AndrewTechs fault for the faulty part. But, they're the people that get the heat. Because they recommended the trans correct? I can also understand why you're just going to swap to a 6 spd after this frustration. But, I'm sure some people might want to sway you to stay in the 5 spd gears market...obviously the end goal is your call.

Kirt
#85 Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well, that is the kicker. I am not a transmission guru, *but* if the parts were installed incorrectly and that led to the premature failure, then yes AndrewTech is at fault. I cannot prove that as I was not around when the transmission was opened up for a 2nd time, but the thought has crossed my mind. Overall, I am a heavy believer in giving those the benefit of the doubt and do not want to accuse anyone without knowing or having all the facts. And yes, I originally wanted PPG gears but was steered to the PAR gearset based on AndrewTech's recommendation.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys. Really helps in tough situations like this Will let you know any updates once I get down there. I just don't want my car off the road for another month.

- Sandra
#86 Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Better not be out of commision for more than a week.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#87 Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

True...but I was under the impression that AndrewTech was pretty much cream of the crop. Though, I've never had any dealings with them directly. Just what I heard...but, even the best can slip up from time to time. We're all human. I hope you're not down and out for long.

Kirt
#88 Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sorry to hear about your experience with PAR gears Sandra... I'd be terribly frustrated if something similar were to happen to my Albins gears. So far, so good though after 10k+ miles (now with 330 whp/338 wtq) and not being particularly nice to the car. Good luck with everything!

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#89 Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Thanks, John and Kirt!

John, I was actually wondering how your gearset was doing. I updated my post on NABISCO with my PAR gearset and read the same responses "If you are to go with a non-gear boxed setup, Albins is the answer". Heh, expensive lesson to learn!

- Sandra
#90 Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

But that lesson should have been learned by AT first and foremost.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3